Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's see your gear

+2
Nando
Kenneth Armstrong
6 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Let's see your gear - Page 2 Empty Re: Let's see your gear

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

This is an old Polaroid camera my Papa gave me a while back. Never got around to getting it working, and probably never will.

Let's see your gear - Page 2 2671947529_5972a8e176_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Land-cameras are always interesting. It goes well with that couch. :-) I know of a few people that have modified them to use 4x5 large format film.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 pm

ATTA BOY

You could still find film for that bad boy online, but this city is dry... I should know I bought the last stock Camera Craft had of 667 film.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Speaking of film. Here's my stash for the summer. Most of it arrived this morning.

Let's see your gear - Page 2 2672897742_7f827b4fee

In 35mm:
100 rolls of Fuji Superia 100
40 rolls of Fuji Press 400 (same as Superia 400)
20 rolls of Arista EDU 100 (rebranded Fomapan 100)
20 rolls of Arista II 100 (rebranded Agfa APX 100)
20 rolls of Arista EDU 400 (rebranded Fomapan 400)
5 rolls of Kodak 400TX (aka Tri-X)

In 120:
10 rolls of Fuji Neopan 100 Acros
10 rolls of Arista EDU 100 (rebranded Fomapan 100)
10 rolls of Arista EDU 400 (rebranded Fomapan 400)

Misc:
9 packs of Polaroid 600 (which I will be selling soon due to an unfortunate incident that destroyed the Polaroid SX-70)

Still the most reliable and and highest quality storage solution for photographs and it remain so for a very, very, very long time. Smile
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 pm

You know, when you mentioned how much film you were buying it didn't seem that crazy.

Pictures tell another story Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 am

WOW

Does Camera craft have that much film?

Your're an ANIMAL Nando.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am

I want to order some Arista II 400 (Agfa APX400). There is a good deal on, right now. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough room left in the freezer.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Just bought a new tripod and ballhead today - Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and Manfrotto 486CR2 head. Looking forward to trying it out in the field, as it's much better then the old timer I was using. My old one broke, and was so unstable, it wasn't even funny. I couldn't get a picture of my Nikon D80 attached, as it's the only one I have.

Let's see your gear - Page 2 2675063741_0bede1ac28

Let's see your gear - Page 2 2675063521_0ba44ec49e

Let's see your gear - Page 2 2675880276_2993d195e8
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:14 pm

NICE^^

I really really need to get myself a decent tripod/head.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:46 pm

Congratulations on your purchase. I think that the clip-style locks of the Manfrottos is probably their most attractive feature. I have a Feisol carbon tripod and ball-head. It's really good (especially the ballhead) but I don't particularly like the twist-style locks.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:41 am

Beautiful tripod. Really nice shots of it too.

I'm not sure if you're used to working with one yet, but beware of the ballhead. With long lenses, if not really tightened it may stay in place for a second, then start slipping, picking up speed quickly when it finally finishes swinging down it's pretty fast.

I'd seen a buddy of mine with a long birding lens leave the head just a little too lose. When the camera finished it's quick tilt down onto one of the legs, I believe the impact either dislodged an element, or opened the lens body at the focus hinge. For the life of me, I can't remember the aftermath. Must have repressed that memory.

Are the leg extensions fastened by the bolts or those quick release "levers"?
When I bought mine, I sat there in the store and debated that for about 20 mins.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 pm

I would have loved a carbon fibre tripod for the weight benefits, but they were just way out of my price bracket. For the price, and what I was looking for, I think this is a good combo for me. And yes, the clip-style extension locks are great on this unit.

Thanks for the heads up about the ballhead. I did some research before purchasing and came across this on a few forums. I typically only shoot with my 18-70mm (for now anyway), and don't expect too have any issues with this. But care will need to be given to make sure I tighten things up, especially after having a drink or two. The nice thing is that the head can always be changed out to something different, should I ever get that 600mm dream lense Very Happy
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:50 pm

When I bought my carbon fibre tripod, I found that the weight-savings isn't that much and probably not worth the extra expense. My tripod (without the ballhead) weighs 2.5 lbs according to the Feisol website (but it can take up to a 20lbs load). A similarly-sized aluminium tripod would have only weighed slightly more - perhaps half a pound more or so but perhaps with lower max load capabilities. I feel that the main benefit for carbon is vibration absorption properties. An example where this might be useful is if I put the tripod in the middle of a shallow stream. The carbon would absorb the vibration caused by the running water better than a metal tripod. Of course, the best option for absorption is probably a wood tripod like a Berlebach - those are really nice. I admit that the main reason I went with carbon was for lighter-weight when travelling. That said, I only used it about 3 or 4 times in the last two years. For a rangefinder guy, using a tripod is pretty much like a sin. I'm going to start using it more for my medium format stuff. I'm not too happy about the blur I saw in my MF photos that I just got back - it looks like I can't go much lower than 1/125th with the thunderous mirror-slap on my Arax. It does have a mirror-lock-up feature but then I can't see through the viewfinder. It probably would have been best for me to have gotten something like a Fuji 6x7or 6x9 rangefinder instead.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Nando,

With your Arax, what lens did you have? a standard 80-90?

I have heard people say that the shutter speed "rule of thumb" needs a little tweaking with MF and their HUGE mirrors. That said, I've never really had a problem as long as your shutter speed is at least close to the focal length.

The arax is the Hassy knock off?
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Arax is the Hasselbladski - I have the standard Arax (Volna) 80mm f2.8 plus three Carl Zeiss Jena lenses - 50mm f/4 Flektogon, 80mm f/2.8 Biometar, and 180 f/2.8 Sonnar. I used the 80mm Biometar the most. Most of the shots that I wasn't happy with were taken at the midway carnival during the evening and into the night. I used the 80mm Biometar at f/2.8, at 1/60th or at 1/30th with mirror-lock-up. I had 100 ISO Fuji Reala in the camera. I admit, this was a bit optimistic but it was really my first good outing with this camera and wanted to see how long I could go hand held - it looks like 1/125th reliably with the mirror - perhaps 1/60th with mirror-lock-up. I had better luck with the 180mm Sonnar - it is a really big and heavy lens and that may have helped. I took some indoor shots at Bar1 that I thought would turn out pretty bad - I took them wide-open at f/2.8 and at 1/30th with mirror-lock-up and 1/60th without and they actually turned out to be good. Unfortunately, I didn't use the 50mm f/4 very much. The best thing was that I found light-leaks on only 2 of 48 photos and I know that it was because I didn't insert the dark-slide in all the way when removing the backs from the camera. The biggest problem with the Hasselbladski's is light-leaks in the film backs but, luckily, it looks like I have good backs.

An older photo of the kid. Here, the Zeiss 80mm Biometar is missing. It was taken before I got that lens.
Let's see your gear - Page 2 2223754245_d1a739c52e_o

Last edited by Nando on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Ohhhh, doggy. That makes me even more anxious to get my new kit... *shakes fist*.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 pm

What's your new kit?
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Ohhhh it's so exciting! But I want to unveil it properly when I actually have it. Give me until Sunday and I'll post it up Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:52 am

I know the secret! At least I think I do. Should be a good kit for you, glad you went for it.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Here's a few of my Cambo 4x5. I've had it for about 5 years now, and used to use it at least 3-4 times a week. I've got to get back into that thing.

The lens is a Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 120mm f/8 . (they don't make very fast lenses for these cameras. There may be a few faster, but $$$$$$$$$.

Let's see your gear - Page 2 Cambo1

Let's see your gear - Page 2 Cambo2

And here's one to show the inverted image thru the ground glass. I also put a 35mm slide in the corner to get and idea of the size difference. Please excuse the horrible shot of my backyard. I just wanted and example and the dog wouldn't cooperate.

Let's see your gear - Page 2 CamboBack
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Yah that thing is the hotness
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:42 pm

I looked through a few large format cameras but they were all pretty old ones. I'm quite surprised by how bright the ground glass is.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am

It's an odd experience the first few times trying to frame a shot upside down and backwards thru a somewhat foggy edged ground glass. That image was taken at a very slow shutter with no light illuminated on the camera. Normally there's no way to see the the image thru the ground glass without a dark hood.
That said, this lens does do alright. Probably because of the shorter focal length than a "normal"lens of 210mm.
The f5.6 lenses that I have tried are an absolute joy. I'm still trying to get back that 240mm 5.6 I had been using quite regularly. For a lens that acts like a 60mm(ish) for a 35 but has the DOF of a 240mm, and almost unlimited minimum focus. What a sweet lens.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Colin,

I wouldn't mind shooting upside down but its not possible with my cameras. If one tries to use geometry for composition and enhancement of the subject, the abstraction helps. You should see how dark the ground glass on my Flexaret is. It's pretty much impossible to use unless your outside during the daytime.

Andrew Anthony,

Saturday has come and gone. Where's your 'new kit'? Very Happy

Last edited by Nando on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 pm

It's the white elephant in the room but... why do you keep calling Anthony "Andrew?" Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next