Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's see your gear

+2
Nando
Kenneth Armstrong
6 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Let's see your gear - Page 8 Empty Re: Let's see your gear

Post by Nando Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm

I almost bought one once when they were cheap (or cheaper)... It's too bad they quadrupled in price. Wouldn't say that I am obsessed with the Noctilux but I do really like the rendering produced by Dr. Walter Mandler's super-fast, beastly creations - The 50f1 Noctilux-M, the 75f1.4 Summilux-M and the 80f1.4 Summilux-R. There is simply nothing else like them.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:11 pm

The Beast

Let's see your gear - Page 8 3686818203_f0213946c0_o
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 am

Hey! Congrats Ken!

I'm guessing that you haven't had any trouble figuring out what to do with your spare time lately.

Beautiful camera.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. Still learning how best to meter with it... I had JUST gotten my Bessa figured out but this one acts differently.

It's probably the second least-collectible Leica behind the Leica CL. It's bigger than the other models and it doesn't have the same lines as every other M. They took a risk by redesigning this camera in the 70's and it almost put them out of business.

I didn't buy it to collect anyway, I want to shoot it. Here it is with my new (to me) 21mm lens and finder (thanks for the hand-me-down, Fernando!)

Let's see your gear - Page 8 3687571268_ff94be7c8b
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 pm

It's one of the best M's when it comes to usability and only now are people discovering this. It was the first M with a built in meter. After the M5 went off the market in 1975 and replaced with the M4-P based on the previous model, Leica users had to wait a decade to get a rangefinder camera with built-in metering; the M6. It is the only M with shutter-speed readout in the viewfinder and spot-metering. The other M's have weighted-average metering.

Leica users are a very sensitive bunch when it comes to change. Most consider either the original M3 or the second model, the M2, to be the perfect camera. Any deviation will be met with resistance. When the M6 TTL came out with a shutter-speed dial that turned the opposite way, all hell broke loose. With the M5, the whole camera changed.

Also the M5 had to contend with a much cheaper counterpart from Leica itself. The Leica CL. The CL was made in Japan under partnership with Minolta and served as a cheaper alternative to the M5. There are always calls for a less expensive way for people to enter the M-system and Leica provided it with the CL. The consequence, was that the CL hurt M5 sales.

People continue to call for a cheaper body from Leica but I think that they remember what happened to the M5 when the brought out the CL. Today, there are less expensive bodies from Voigtlander and Zeiss fortunately... and the recently discontinued (but very advanced) Konica Hexar RF can also be found new. However, the Leica is still in competition with itself. They made their cameras and lenses to such high standards that equipment dating back to the 1930's are still being used. Their stuff simply will last forever. My M3 from 1954 works just as well as my MP from 2006! My smoothest, best operating camera is my Leica IIIf from 1956! As a consequence, many people that want Leica stuff buy used stuff instead of new and that is hurting Leica's bottom line, without a doubt.

I think the Japanese learned this lesson. They're now making what are essentially, very expensive disposable cameras. People use them for around 5 years, they break down and go to a landfill site. The the owner then buys a new one and the cycle repeats. Gone are the days of the bullet-proof Nikon F's, smooth Pentax Spotmatics, and well-designed Olympus OM's.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm

...and knowing is half the battle.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:12 pm

That's right! And you were able to get that camera at a very nice price. For the condition its in, the seller could had fetched way more $$$ for it. Good thing that you jumped on it before someone else did.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Haven't taken a picture of it yet, but my father gifted me his old Nikon F4 film camera. This was practically untouchable when I was a teenager but I guess he wanted me to enjoy it.

He kept his lenses for his Nikon D100 but I picked myself up a beautiful manual-focus 105mm f/2.5 AI-s at International Camera Repair in Etobicoke. It should be a good compliment to my Leica.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Congratulations on both the F4 and 105mm. You know how I feel about the 105 Nikkor. In my opinion, its the only Nikkor lens that makes switching to a Nikon SLR system worth it.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:43 pm

I got it under your recommendation. Henry's had a beat up one for around $450... International Camera Repair had a beautiful one for $250. Still more than I might pay online but I know Stan will stand behind it if I have a problem.

His store is awesome... I haven't been there since before I started dating my wife. My dad would always drop my mom and sister off to shop take me there when I was a kid and the place hasn't changed. His business is hurting but he has tons of inventory. If he threw it up on eBay he'd probably make a killing.

I regret not taking any pictures inside there.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 am

Does International Camera Repair have any Leica gear?

You probably need a new bag now?
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am

I didn't get the Sonnar one by the way, but the later Gauss type. It seems really nice though. Haven't got any film back from it, maybe I'll blow a roll of C41 through it today... not that I could get it developed.

They had some accessories, but no lenses or bodies. They had everything else, though. He had a very nice Olympus 35 SP for $120 that I considered but I think I have outgrown those. He had a FED rangefinder but I didn't ask how much.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:33 pm

I was too lazy to take a picture but I forgot I had a webcam on my computer.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 3897539835_fcf199b756_o
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Last edited by Nando on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accidental double post)
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:47 pm

My MP with my newest fifty, a Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH made in 2007. I took the photo using my Leica IIIf with my oldest fifty, a Leica 50mm f/2 Summar made in 1934.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 3967360686_fda2727c13_o

The Summar is known for its dreamy, glowing renderings as demonstrated here.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:13 am

My Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II and my collection classic Super-Multi-Coated Takumars. From left to right: 28mm f/3.5, 135mm f/3.5, 400mm f/5.6 (the big one), 50mm f/1.4 on the camera, 200mm f/4, and 85mm f1.8. The moire pattern is due to the crappy point-and-shoot digital I used to shoot the photo.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 4004170808_16983a3792

Here is Spotty with the legendary 85mm f/1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 4003409879_7afc8def1a

The leather case was hand-made by Mr. Hirano Kazuhiro (below). I believe it is the first case Hirano-san has made for the Spotmatic. Special thanks to Dirk Rösler of Japan Exposures for acting on my behalf. Hirano-san only sells cases to the Japanese market but Dirk at Japan Exposures, acting as a broker, can get them for people outside of Japan. The case is very well made and wonderful to use. The camera is also sporting a green (more olive-green than Pentax-green) Classic Softie from Tom Abrahamsson.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 Hitano_aboutcase_01 Let's see your gear - Page 8 Footer_shop

Some links:
Camera-Hirano: http://www.camera-hirano.jp
Japan Exposures: http://www.japanexposures.com
Tom Abrahammson: http://www.rapidwinder.com
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:21 pm

A photo of Mr. T (my Voigtlander Bessa-T) with the Beast (35mm f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical) dressed in Luigi leather.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 4124368733_1666c0f51c_o

Next, the incomparable Luigi Crescenzi. One of the finest gentlemen that I've ever dealt with.

Let's see your gear - Page 8 GianniFourLeicasWstrapsNov-05verySmall

If you want anything done in leather for your camera, Luigi is the man!
http://www.leicatime.com
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 pm

LX3 would look good in one. Razz
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 am

Currently, I carry the LX3 (w/ 24mm finder) naked in my coat pocket. I've been in contact with Akihiro (Aki) Asahi about his vulcanit covering but he has temporarily stopped production of coverings for digital cameras to concentrate on making other things. I managed to find a Leica case for the D-Lux4/LX3 extremely cheap. It is probably a Chinese-made fake but we'll see. It is supposed to come with original boxes, papers, etc. It is currently on its way to me from Hong Kong.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Nice. They had the Lumix case in the display but I was pretty sure you'd pass on it Razz
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:26 pm

That regular Lumix case is very cumbersome and too expensive for what it is. The (possibly fake) Leica case I ordered is actually about 1/3 the price of the Lumix case at Muntz!
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:35 am

Another one of Mr. T:

Let's see your gear - Page 8 4140146786_f37537f95a_o
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content