Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto focus dead?

3 posters

Go down

Auto focus dead? Empty Auto focus dead?

Post by thirdfloorgirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah, I didn't think this would ever happen, I thought my Canon was a tank... but I guess not... Since last week, when I played with the light box... my auto focus on my 18-55mm lens will not work! If I try to move it manually when it's on AF, it will only move a few millimeters... which is not normal... darn it!

I guess it caught the same cold I have... and I am in pretty bad shape!

Any idea if this can be fixed?

Also have another question... Anyone in town able to fix AE1 Programs???
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Auto focus dead? Empty Re: Auto focus dead?

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:04 pm

What's wrong with the AE-1? Stan at International Camera Repair in Etobicoke is a friend of my family but I understand he is close to retirement. 1-800-340-5937 might be worth a try.

He used to CLA all my dad's old TLR and SLR gear between fishing trips Razz
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your lens. I really have no idea about AF lenses so I can't give you any advice on repairs. They have such intricate little motors in those things and with all those electronics. I think that its a given that any AF lens will fail eventually - some sooner than others.

I doubt that you would find anybody locally that could do a major repair on an AE-1. I know a really good repair person in Toronto that can work miracles but he only works on all-mechanical gear. Karl Aimo used to be THE person to go to for classic Canons but, sadly, he passed away a few years ago. If Ken's suggestion doesn't work out, you can try Essex Camera in New Jersey. Essex are known for their ability to service nearly any film camera. The repair cost will probably be more than what the camera is worth. You may be able to find another working body on evilBay for less than the cost of the repair. According to Essex's website, the standard repair cost for an AE-1 Program is $110 USD.

http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=CANON
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down