Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your photo goals for 2009

+2
Nando
Kenneth Armstrong
6 posters

Go down

Your photo goals for 2009 Empty Your photo goals for 2009

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:41 am

Thought I'd strike up some conversation since it died out a bit here.

In 2008 my motivation was to do more paying gigs, essentially working for other people. I did some weddings, a few corporate events and some news photography. I think what I found is that I don't like shooting for other people.

This year I'm really trying to shoot for myself. I may still do some news but I have decided that weddings are not what I want to do. I got a little enjoyment when I snuck in some B&W film shots at one wedding, it was exciting not knowing if I got anything (I did).

So for 2009 I've decided to slow it down, shoot mostly B&W film. Spend more time in the darkroom doing wet prints. Try to travel more (Newfoundland and Toronto are two trips we've planned so far). Maybe get out of the country if I'm lucky. I want to finish at least one of the projects floating in my head.

I want to get a photo blog going again. I had one when I lived in Toronto but it died off when I moved here in 2006. I know how to set one up, I'm just lazy.

I'm pretty happy gear-wise right now, in fact I think I have too much. I keep going back and forth whether or not to sell at least one of my DSLRs. I'm just not using them.

What's your plans?
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Your photo goals for 2009 Empty Re: Your photo goals for 2009

Post by Nando Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm

In order of importance.

1. To get back to shooting at least one roll a week. I will eventually get more free time for photography.

2. To get my photos, negatives, gear and chemicals organized.

3. Continue with my projects and project planning. I will probably be going to Portugal so I will be continuing with my worshippers project.

4. Buy more photography books for study and inspiration. (photo books not instruction books) Perhaps one a month. I would like an Atget book next.

5. Read more reflections by respected photographers along with essays and books on photography, aesthetics/visual theory, art history etc.

6. Sell the stuff I'm not using. My Flexaret will go plus my Zorki 1c. My Pentaxes may also go.

7. Give my M3 a much needed make-over.

8. Upgrade to the newest Leica 24mm external viewfinder that was released in December. The new one is much improved.

9. Get a Barnackwinder for the IIIf from TomA (along with a special edition Mr. B softie) and a SHNOO Summitar-e39 filter adapter for the Summitar.

10. Contemplate moving from my Arax system to a more "reliable" medium-format system. Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad V or Mamiya 7.... Or give up medium-format and go large-format 4x5 or 5x7.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm

I don't have specific goals for 2009 when it comes to photography, except, to shoot more. Thanks to you guys, I have been wanting to take more pictures lately, and I really enjoy it. I remember a time, when I would not leave the house without my OM1... Basically take pictures that speak to me, and to others, that I would love to have displayed on my walls (thanks to BonSoo, I did not have one of my prints framed before the contest!)

I would like to shoot B&W film again, try different things out with filters (which I have never done) to learn more...

Learn about lighting... I realized my knowledge of flashes, light and how it works is very limited, and we all know there is no photography without light!

And learn the photo jargon to be able to understand you guys ;-)

Again, thanks for inviting me here :-) A lot of your photography has inspired me to pick up my camera and shoot again...

Oh, and there might be a Mamiya 645 in store for me somewhere... We'll see ;-) This would be a totally new experience for me!
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Good topic Ken...

The two big goals I'd like to concentrate on this year is motivating myself to get out and capturing the early morning light, and to also get out and hike/explore more.

My main enjoyment is taking landscape photographs, and in order to take it to the next level, I need to get out when the light is right. The problem I have is not so much waking up earlier, but actually getting my arse out the door in time. There's been times that I've been up, but just couldn't get moving. I've managed to force myself out this winter when it was -20, and actually enjoyed it once I was there. Motivating myself should be a little easier once the weather is a little warmer Smile

To go along with shooting landscapes, I also want to get out more and find new interesting places to shoot. I've got a good start to this goal so far this year. For Christmas I got a new Garmin GPS for hiking around and not having to worry about getting lost, and I also got some snowshoes for some Winter exploring. The next on my list is to pickup the Voyageur Trail Guide for maps and such about trails in the Algoma region. I also read a good article on the Sault Star website about Stokely Creek opening up some snoeshoe trails. I definitely want to make my way out there soon.

I had plans to start investing is some new lenses and other equipment, but going on work sharing at the steel plant has put those plans on hold for a little while.
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:32 pm

TFG,

I have no knowledge of flash and I avoid it like the plague. I do think its important to be aware of the quality of light and to have an understanding of how light is reflected off of surfaces. I've always felt that the most important aspect of a photograph is the subject and composition. I think I'd be much more comfortable with studio lights than strobes. I don't think I can ever work with explosive bursts of light unless I was going for the Weegee or Bruce Gilden look. I really get put off by not being able to see what I shoot and that's what happens with flash. This is one of the reason why I don't like SLR's very much either as the viewfinder is block the very moment I press the shutter.

Anyway, I feel that the best place to start when studying light is to look at the Dutch painters during the "Golden Age" of Dutch painting - 17th century. They were the absolute masters of light! Johannes Vermeer especially. Rembrandt was arguably the best of the Dutch painters and certainly the best known but when it comes to lighting, he was more into the Chiaroscuro style - it looks really staged sometimes. Vermeer's use of light is absolutely breath-taking and was in a league of his own.

Your photo goals for 2009 535px-Johannes_Vermeer_-_De_melkmeid

BJ,

I can't get up in the morning. I'm not into landscapes very much but its definitely the best time for any type of outdoor photography. When I do go to Portugal, I hope make myself get up at 4:30-5:00 in the morning so I can get to the city centre in time for all the hustle and bustle on the streets. No point in me doing that here in the Soo though - the streets are deserted 24 hours a day.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm

I think learning how to effectively use flash is a pretty important thing to know these days. I also don't use it often for my own personal work, but I don't think it's a sin either Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am

I like Nando's goal of shooting at least a roll every week.

I really want to do a lot of skateboard work with my Mamiya this summer. I guess just generally putting a lot of film through that camera would be a big goal of mine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 am

LOL @ Nando getting a Mr. B softie. That's awesome.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 am

Softies make shooting at 1/15th and 1/8th more comfortable. With my gear, I don't think I'll encounter any situation where I would need flash. I'll let you know when I order in case you want a blue mini softie to match the blue dot.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 am

Awesome topic, I had a good reply thought up then forgot it.

Anyway I'm keeping it simple this year:
Expand my business and by that I mean actually start promoting it.
Hopefully connect in person with a couple of photographer friends - I'm heading to Vegas at the start of March (missing out on big conference) but may have a couple friends meet up for a day or two.
Work more with light - I've been hard against flash etc but starting to like the possibilities of it.
Share - knowledge I have (not much Wink) and ideas etc
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Nando wrote:Softies make shooting at 1/15th and 1/8th more comfortable. With my gear, I don't think I'll encounter any situation where I would need flash. I'll let you know when I order in case you want a blue mini softie to match the blue dot.

I'm not LOL at you buying a softie, just that it's the Mr. B one Very Happy

I just purchased the Luigi basic case for my Bessa off RFF. I'd like to compare it to your premium one when it come next week.

I think I'm taking a quick drive up to Toronto this weekend to get together with some friends. I'll have to get some TO shopping done while I'm there.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Mr. B announced it himself as part of a Happy New Year's message. It will be tabby yellow. I think there will be an image of Mr. B on it based on his portrait by artist Rebecca Siemering. I'm not sure when they'll be available. At present, it looks like Mr. B's employee, TomA, is testing the colour with the anodiser.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwinder/490755432/in/set-72157594539734735/

In regards to the case, I'm glad you went with Luigi. From what I've heard, the leather Luigi uses for the 'basic' case is still top notch. I think the main difference is in the stitching. The 'premium' cases are completely hand-stitched while the 'basic' are machine-stitched. The design also was changed to allow machine stitching. I have two Luigi's (and hope to add at least one more). Both are premium cases but the leathers make them really different. You are familiar with the black leather one on my MP. Very soft - a bit delicate. The 'aged brown' leather case for my IIIf is really different. It is much smoother and tougher. It feels very different than the black leather case. I'm hoping to get another 'aged-brown' brown case for the M3.

I would like to see how your case fits my Bessa-T. The strap-lug location is slightly different on the 'T' body. I hesitated buying a case for the camera as Luigi couldn't guarantee that his 'Bessa cases' would fit.

Have a good trip. As I reported to you earlier, Rodinal seems imipossible to find in T.O. according to the G-man. I've read on RFF that it is because of some legal issue in Canada dealing with the name and when asking for it, say that you want "Blazinal". (It is possible that this may be some sort of joke.)
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:38 pm

At Henry's it was labeled Rodinal but my bill said Blazinal. I bought 2 bottles so that should do me a while. There was one more on the shelf but I decided to take the HC-110 instead.

I finally souped my first 3 rolls in it. One TRI-X @ 400, one TRI-X @ 1600 and an Artista 400 (forget which one) @ 1600. The two TRI-X's turned out great, despite the 2 stop difference (they were in the same tank 1+100 for 100 minutes). The Artista did not fare as well but it could be the subject matter. I just hung them up at work and now I'm gone until Tuesday so I'll be thinking about them all weekend.

The TRI-X's seemed really contrasty, but that could be because I was shooting hockey with them (ice vs dark uniforms).

I'll try to scan them Tuesday and let you know how they went.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:59 pm

I look forward to seeing your photos. I think we got a bit off-topic. Let's get back to talking about goals.

I forgot to add one.
I think I got D76 down so now I want to master Rodinal/Blazinal.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by mikef Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 am

Ummm, to actually press the shutter button? How's that for a goal? Smile
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:38 am

mikef wrote:Ummm, to actually press the shutter button? How's that for a goal? Smile

Haha that's a good one. I zoomed through 12 rolls of film a few weekends back in Toronto but I've baerly shot anything since. Being sick hasn't helped.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down