Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's see your gear

+2
Nando
Kenneth Armstrong
6 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Let's see your gear - Page 7 Empty Re: Let's see your gear

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 am

Nikon doesn't make a 30mm. The Sigma is really nice, I used to have it for my Canon stuff.

That's a great tablecloth, BTW Razz

You need some more primes. Can I suggest the excellent Nikon 105mm macro? Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:57 am

Though Nikon just did a 35mm f/1.8, but Ken's right, no 30.

Thanks, yeah the place mat has been getting some good use for my gear shots Smile

The 10.5mm might be my next lens purchase....what will I do without a fisheye? Sad

A the 105mm is decent though? I wouldn't mind actually having a macro lens for once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm

If you are getting a 105mm, get the OLD Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AIS. That's the last version (I think) of the classic 105mm Nikkor that's been around since 1953. In my opinion, the best Nikkor lens ever made. I bet you that the old 105f2.5's will be sharper and definitely more pleasing wide-open than the new 105mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor that replaced it!

If you're going to get a macro lens, I'd recommend the Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar or the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar. If your doing macro, you're going to be focusing manually so you might as well go with a high quality mechanical lens.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:38 pm

It's an excellent lens, even if the old one may be better. I was playing with one a few weeks back and it was great. The VR would more than make up for the difference in speed between and the old one if you were doing any handheld work. I would assume you wouldn't be using it strictly for macro work so the AF would probably come in handy too.

I had the Sigma macro ring flash attached and was just shooting random stuff around the store. Everything looked great (but I don't think I kept any of it). I was setting it up for medical use.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Yes, a $1000 lens should be excellent, even if the old $250-300 one is better. Smile If I was in AJ's shoes, I would only get the new lens if I was going to do macro at a serious level. Even then, there are less expensive ways to do macro.

Forget about my suggestion for the Voigtlander 125 APO Lanthar for a macro lens. It used to sell for $640USD but its now discontinued and sold out. They going for crazy prices on evil-Bay! Saw one with a starting bid of over $1800CDN! Hmm.... maybe I should invest in a few more 35f1.2 Noktons before Mr. Kobayashi-san decides to pull the plug on them too.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Yesterday, I got an email from Alex at Popflash notifying me that they have received my 24mm viewfinder from Leica. It's now on its way to me.

Let's see your gear - Page 7 3316924706_eaed0853c5

Now I have to figure out what to do with my old 24mm viewfinder. I'll probably sell it but I may keep it for use on a Leica D-Lux 4 or Panasonic LX-3. I don't see myself getting either of those cameras at the moment.

Last edited by Nando on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I want to get the 25mm Biogon but it's not in the cards yet. If I did I'd probably go for an R4M body anyway.

I should get the Heliar back to you with that Ektar 100. Not sure when I'll have a chance to meetup in the near future though.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Don't worry about it. I'm pretty busy at the moment too. This is the first time I hear you mentioning the 25mm Biogon!
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 pm

It was on my radar when I was considering the 35mm Biogon, I just figured 35mm was probably something I would use more (and I think I was right).

I probably wouldn't spend the money any time soon, but I'd like to try it. I should probably think about a good 50mm first but 35mm works for me 9 times out of 10.

In other news I can't believe Epson announced that RD-1x 6 MP camera for $3000. They are either complete idiots or utter geniuses.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:12 am

I like a 35mm with a 50mm. I use one or the other all the time... usually whichever one happens to be on the camera when I pick it up and I don't worry about switching lenses until I really have to. With either lens, its easy for me to get into the groove, so to speak. I know where to position myself and I know their limits. Its not too drastic of a change. I only switch when I really need to. When I do switch from a 35 to a 50, say, the 50 will stay on for a long time until I really need something a bit wider and I can't take a few steps back. Then I will stick to 35mm for as long as possible until I need to get closer and can't take a few steps forward. When I was using 21/35/75mm combo, I found I was switching lenses too much. My 24mm and 90mm are only there to use when I *need* those focal lengths for the image I see in my mind's eye. 24mm is also good for shooting very close and/or 'from the hip'.Making adjustments in terms of positioning, framing, etc. when going from a 35 to a 24 or a 50 to a 90 is drastic but its good to have those focal lengths when you want them. I like 50mm the most but if I was pressed to choose only one focal length, I think that 35mm would be the more practical choice for me.

The 25mm Biogon is arguably the best lens in the Zeiss line-up. It currently holds the resolution record (though I wouldn't be surprised if the old Leica 35f2.8 Summaron from the 50's/60's could challenge it). A full-frame digital would need around 550MP to out-resolve the 25mm Biogon! When it comes to film, Adox CMS 20 and Spur UR films can do it. Zeiss set the record on Spur Ortho UR, I believe. The old Kodak Tech-Pan was capable over 300 lp/mm with the right developer. My favourite film, Tri-X is nowhere close. As you know, I went with a 24mm Elmarit instead of a 25mm Biogon because the Elmarit just has that je ne sais quoi that makes me want to prance around like a ballerina.

In regards to the new RD-1x, who knows what Epson is thinking? Perhaps someone from Epson spent some time on RFF and smelled all the GAS! One can pick up a used M8 for less and its a much better camera than the RD-1x. I really don't understand why anybody would go for a new RD-1x. It's also been my impression that Epson has been a bit wishy-washy when it comes to servicing these cameras. Leica has shown that it will stand behind the M8, despite what anyone says. Buying a used RD-1 or RD-1s, is a different matter though and completely understandable to me.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:32 am

I'd love to try an RD-1s, I think I would enjoy using it even more than an M8. I like the flip-screen and love the idea of flipping it around entirely. I love the idea of manually cranking between exposures. Too bad they took away the flip-screen on the RD-1x.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 am

I don't know about the touchy-feely aspect. The RD-1s doesn't have the improved build quality of your R2A, I believe. It's closer to the earlier CV Bessas like my T, the L, R and R2. There's some aspects of the RD-1 cameras that I feel Leica could have used on the M8 - the flip screen and advance lever for cocking the shutter. The biggest complaint about the M8 was the increased noise of the shutter and most of it was due to the automatic cocking mechanism. A manual lever would have avoided the problem. BTW, I think that this tread is supposed to be about gear that we already have. Smile
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Some of my fifties:

Let's see your gear - Page 7 3439562166_93c372d1c4

Top row: 1967 Leica 50mm f/2 DR Summicron, 1975 50mm f/1.5 Jupiter-3 (Soviet copy of the Zeiss 50 f/1.5 Sonnar. I believe that the Zeiss lens first came out in 1932 or 1933).
Bottom row: 1946 Leica 50mm f/2 Summitar, 1956 Leica 50mm f/1.5 Summarit (made in Canada), 1935 Leica 50mm f/2 Summar

I took the photo with the current Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-ASPH.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Wed May 06, 2009 1:29 pm

you guys are crazy (in a good way)... half the time, I don't understand what you are saying ! :-P

But I am learning... slowly.

I am hoping to add a Holga to my little collection... and... looking at updating my Canon Rebel DSLR to a 50D...
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Andie,

Do you know about the Diana? It's the original Holga and those Lomo people have started reproducing it as the Diana+. It costs about 3x more than a Holga though. I'm not too familiar with the differences between the two. Perhaps the Diana+ is crappier, hence the higher price? Mark Sink gave some credibility to toy cameras with his use of the Diana in the 1980's.

Two or three years ago, I adapted a Holga (Minotar) lens to the Pentax K-mount using a lens cap. It took me a whole afternoon to make the lens and I don't remember ever shooting with it. The resulting images wouldn't be really the same as a Holga uses 120 film instead of 35mm.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed May 06, 2009 2:59 pm

I've seen a few Holgas around town lately, I know of at least 3 people that shoot with them. I've avoided the temptation so far... so far.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Wed May 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Well... considering how cheap they are... I will buy one soon! When we have an outing, you can shoot with it!
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Keep in mind that they are cheap for a reason. A friend of mine bought one and a week later the film winding mechanism broke and was impossible to repair. She gave the camera to me so that I could (literally) hack the lens off of it and adapt it for my Pentax. Photographers that are really into toy cameras usually go through a lot of them.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 pm

I've joined the cult of Fernando and bought my first Leica. I say "first" because it probably never stops at one.

The first time I held a Leica in my hand I pretty much knew it was inevitable that I'd buy one someday... surprised I lasted this long. I remember saying to my wife after meeting Fernando that it was "dangerous" meeting him and that it would get expensive.

I think it's a bug that either consumes you or it doesn't... there's no middle ground.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 pm

You mean the Cult of Leica. Smile

"A Leica feels like a big warm kiss, like a shot from a revolver, and like the psychoanalyst’s couch.” - HC-B

I think that the M5 was made for you Ken. Congratulations. The M5 is truly a connoisseur's choice and many M5 shooters feel that this camera is the Leica most pleasing to the senses. I have never handled one myself. I look forward to seeing it.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 am

Well the cult of the M5, anyway Razz
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:12 am

Congrats Ken. When does it show up?

Ah Fernando... so how much does Leica pay you?
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 am

Unfortunately for Leica they don't make money on second-hand gear, but maybe eventually I will buy new. How much is the lottery for this week? Razz

Here's a photo of it in all its 1970's German engineered beauty. It's beautiful like a WWII German Tiger tank.

Let's see your gear - Page 7 3613077766_f4c492e59e_o
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:58 pm

crowellphotographs wrote:Ah Fernando... so how much does Leica pay you?

I wish that they would pay me with a Noctilux.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm

You just mentioned a Noctilux earlier today on RFF. That's not your latest obsession, is it? Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next