Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you using?

+9
viewsthroughmylens
crowellphotographs
Kenneth Armstrong
Nando
JKnxdk
Chako
hemi_69
mightymalibu
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What are you using? Empty What are you using?

Post by Admin Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:31 am

I'm an amateur and I'm using my a canon S3 which I LOVE!!! For a beginner I think its a great camera! I also just got my first lens ever and I can't wait to go try it out!

Admin
Admin

https://saultphotography.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What are you using? Empty My Hardware

Post by mightymalibu Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:27 pm

This is what i use..
What are you using? ANIKOCM205114993
also just got this lens last year
What are you using? 51SA2BS3hPTL_SS500_
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

What are you using? Empty Re: What are you using?

Post by hemi_69 Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Same camera I have, I absolutly love it.
Next purchase will be a new Lense as my 18-55 just does'nt cut it half the time
hemi_69
hemi_69

http://www.matthewsfamilyonline.info

Back to top Go down

What are you using? Empty 18-55mm

Post by mightymalibu Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I agree with you on that one, I ended up getting my 55-200mm at future shop, at the time they had a sign in their case display but was a misprint, So i ended up getting that lens for $219.

Its a great lens, Ive got my eye on another lens , the 10mm Fisheye....
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi_69 Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:05 pm

excellent, gotta love when the mess up the signage lol
I've been watching that lense and a 55-300 for a while now at a few places, just waiting till the time is right lol, well untill my wife says the time is right What a Face a fisheye would be nice too but one step at a time
hemi_69
hemi_69

http://www.matthewsfamilyonline.info

Back to top Go down

What are you using? Empty Lens cost $$$$$

Post by mightymalibu Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:08 pm

True enough, same here, gotta take it one step at a time, I just did a bunch of upgrading.....
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

Post by Chako Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Oh oh! Better watch out before the LBA gets to you. Lens buying addiction is a major problem.

For example, I was fully into Canon, and then veered into Pentax again after a 14 year hiatus from their gear. Now I have two almost complete systems. I am slowly working on the Pentax side of things. The only two things I am missing are a macro lens (that will cost me about 600 to get and is next on my list), and a long telephoto lens (A bigma for the Pentax mount will cost about 1300 Canadian (but I already have one with my Canon), or I can go with a 300mm f2.8 Sigma for around 2500 and couple that with a teleconverter for any extra reach). That 300 f/2.8 is quite expensive but has some benefits. Before I would sink that kind of cash on a lens, I would definitely look at other options and read, read, read.

I won't get go into all the gear I have, so here is a link to it.

My gear...torn between two brands (click me) Sad
Chako
Chako

Back to top Go down

Post by JKnxdk Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Another amateur here, just using my Canon PowerShot S2 IS. Haven't bought any lenses for it yet since I do plan on upgrading, haven't decided if I'm going to stick with Canon or look into something else (leaning more to Canon mind you).
JKnxdk
JKnxdk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:35 pm

I use rangefinders for the vast majority of my photography. I have 5 rangefinder bodies and 16 lenses ranging from 21mm to 135mm. I still need at least 3 more. I normally use my Leica M3 with a 50mm f/2 Summitar or my Leica MP with a 35mm f/2 Summicron-ASPH most of the time.

Other cameras:
I have a 35mm SLR kit that consists of 2 Pentax MX bodies and 8 lenses covering 8mm to 1000mm (with a 2x teleconverter). I also have a medium-format SLR kit that consists of a custom-made Arax-88 body with Spot/TTL prism finder, waist-level finder, and two 6x6 format 120 film backs. The body has a Pentacon-6 mount. For lenses I have the standard Arax 80mm that came with the kit along with Zeiss 50mm and 180mm lenses. I have shift and tilt adapters for using the Pentacon-6 lenses on my Pentaxes either normally or as tilt/shift lenses. I have a wooden pinhole camera by ZeroImage that takes 35mm film.

Misc:
I have three external light-meters. One is a Leicameter MC that goes with the 1954 Leica M3. It still works but I don't use it. The others are a Sekonic L588 incident/spot meter and a very compact Sekonic L208 incident/reflective meter. I don't use flash though I have a powerful Pentax flash unit for the MX's. For support I have a Feisol carbon-fibre tripod that can hold 7kg along with a Feisol ballhead that can hold 19kg. Tripods aren't usually necessary for rangefinders so I don't use it much. I may be getting a new tripod (perhaps a Berlebach Report 3022) for the medium-format SLR as it is quite heavy and with the Zeiss 180mm mounted, the Feisol would be close to its limit. I have two monopods. A sturdy but huge Manfrotto that I never use plus less sturdier but more compact and useful one that was included with one of my heavier lenses - I later found out it was a good Soviet or Chinese copy of a Linhof Monomatic-stativ. I have about 400 rolls of film in the freezer - mostly 35mm C41 film (colour negative). I have chemicals, tanks, reels, etc. for developing black and white at home. I have a Nikon Coolscan V scanner plus ViewScan software for scanning 35mm negatives and slides. I will be getting another scanner soon for medium and large format. Probably an Epson V750. Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended for post processing. Epson Stylus Pro 3800 printer for prints. I print 8x12's on Epson Premium Lustre paper mostly.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Good to "see" you again, Nando. I also enjoy rangefinders, I have a Yashica MG-1 and a Ricoh 500 G and recently had an Olympus 35 SP (my favorite) stolen from my car. I wish I had a Leica, it'll probably be my next camera (if I'm lucky).

I also have a medium format Hasselblad which I really should use. It's loaded with a roll of Reala but I just need the right reason to go and shoot.

I have 2 Canon DSLRs (and a film SLR) which are my workhorses, a pro 1D body and a consumer Rebel XT. My lenses cover everything from 16mm fisheye to 200mm telephoto. I don't often find I need anything longer.

Lastly I love my old Polaroids, I have about 5 and enjoy using them. Cameras are tools and having just one camera doesn't make sense to me. You can buy the best hammer in the world but sometimes you just need a screwdriver.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Kenneth. Nice to "see" you too. Smile I'm sure that you'll get one eventually. I can picture you with a black M4-P or M6 and 50 Summicron. I actually used to leave my Leicas in my car occasionally but I've stopped doing that after I heard what happened to your Oly. That 35SP was a great camera but at least you got an awesome deal on that Ricoh.

I nearly bought a Hassy myself but decided not to as I wasn't going to use it much. Bodies and the basic kits have come down drastically in price but other lenses are still extremely expensive. Basic kits are going back up in price too. Good ones are about twice as much as they were going for a year ago.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Chako Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am

Hmmm...Olympus 35 SP you say? Ken, this is your lucky day. I just so happen to have one kicking around my house (I tend to collect cameras for some unknown reason at times). If you can use it, I will give you my copy. It is just collecting dust here, as I am not a great fan of rangefinders even though I would never part with my Kodak Retinette 1A. You are more then welcome to take the Oly 35 SP.
Chako
Chako

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 am

Hey everyone, So this is where everyone's gone.

This topic should be changed to "how we spent 1million dollars"
I understand the addiction.

As for my gear.
I reluctantly started using digital about 8 months ago so I'm still in the process of buying. I use a Nikon D200 paired with a 18-135DX lens(i wish i had the 18-200mm IF-ED, soon)
I also still use the horrible 28-80 (cheapest lens they make) and the 70-300mm (second cheapest lens they make) Actually, I don't think they make those anymore. They're reminants from my unfortunate purchase of a nikon f75 a couple years back. Only once I bought that camera did i figure out that my Olympus OM-1 was a way better camera with way better glass. I Love that camera, and I have litterally hammered in a tent peg with it. (In sand)(Camping trip with photographers)

I also have a Mamiya RB67 with the 90mm lens. Heavy as a lead brick but I love it.

My Baby is my Cambo 4x5. I lost out on my 240mm lens (bought with my old business partner, never do that) but I still have my schneider Super-Angulon 120mm lens.

As for lighting, I use a Metz 60 CT-4 and a Nikon sb-600. I have a couple chimera studio softboxes, and was formerly using a Speedotron 2401 Powerpack and flash system. (another piece of equipment I had to walk away from when I moved from Ottawa)
I should be buying something new in the next week or two.

I also use a Manfrotto 055CL with a 3pt pivot head. (Needed something beefy to carry my 8+ lb cambo.

Digital darkroom: All I use is Photoshop CS 2 and Adobe Bridge. Tried tested and true, there's nothing you can't do. I would like Aperture. Great for sorting/viewing multiple images.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:49 am

Hey everyone, So this is where everyone's gone.

This topic should be changed to "how we spent 1million dollars"
I understand the addiction.

As for my gear.
I reluctantly started using digital about 8 months ago so I'm still in the process of buying. I use a Nikon D200 paired with a 18-135DX lens(i wish i had the 18-200mm IF-ED, soon)
I also still use the horrible 28-80 (cheapest lens they make) and the 70-300mm (second cheapest lens they make) Actually, I don't think they make those anymore. They're reminants from my unfortunate purchase of a nikon f75 a couple years back. Only once I bought that camera did i figure out that my Olympus OM-1 was a way better camera with way better glass. I Love that camera, and I have litterally hammered in a tent peg with it. (In sand)(Camping trip with photographers)

I also have a Mamiya RB67 with the 90mm lens. Heavy as a lead brick but I love it.

My Baby is my Cambo 4x5. I lost out on my 240mm lens (bought with my old business partner, never do that) but I still have my schneider Super-Angulon 120mm lens.

As for lighting, I use a Metz 60 CT-4 and a Nikon sb-600. I have a couple chimera studio softboxes, and was formerly using a Speedotron 2401 Powerpack and flash system. (another piece of equipment I had to walk away from when I moved from Ottawa)
I should be buying something new in the next week or two.

I also use a Manfrotto 055CL with a 3pt pivot head. (Needed something beefy to carry my 8+ lb cambo.

Digital darkroom: All I use is Photoshop CS 2 and Adobe Bridge. Tried tested and true, there's nothing you can't do. I would like Aperture. Great for sorting/viewing multiple images.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:04 pm

And I thought that I'd be the only film junkie here... cheers

The Olympus OM1 lines were so very nice. Got a friend, an ex-Saultite, who is bonified Zuikologist. He carries his OM1 with him all the time to ward off evil (digital) spirits. My Pentax MX's, which I love, were basically Pentax's answer to the OM's.

I'm very tempted to try large format. I spent about an hour last night looking at a few Ebony's, a Deardoff, and a very portable Razzledog. I must resist!!!
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Uh oh Nando. Famous last words. ha ha

The large format is a vile temptress. You'll never be happier with the images, but there are two problems. The obvious issue of cost, at around 1.60$ per BW shot(without printing) and over 5$ per slide, she'll hurt your wallet faster than a gambling addiction. (And she is addictive)
The second and most troubling dowfall of the Large format is that you'll never be entirely happy with any picture you take without it. The phrase "Imagine how much cooler this would have looked if I had used my 4x5" will run through your head continually.
I'm still in councelling from having borrowed an 8x10 for a week, slides like stainglass windows! I think the group's name is Immersive Emulsions Anonymous. ha ha
I've never heard of the other two, but the Deardorff's are BEAUTIFUL cameras.

Glad there are still a few of us film slingers around.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:59 pm

I found out about Ebony from a photographer/seller I met online on a rangefinder site. He owns Big Camera Workshops in Burlington and deals with Ebony. Beautiful cameras. (http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com) I hope to take one of his workshops some day just to get a taste of large-format. A good friend of mine wants an Ebony 4x5 and is thinking of doing the unthinkable - selling his Leica kit to finance it. The Razzledog is pretty neat. It's made by a photographer in Australia. It's basically a conversion of old Polaroid cameras to a 4x5's. It is similar to the Littman45 conversions but the Razzledog can be had with (limited) shift, tilt, and swing movements. It has a coupled rangefinder with parallax compensation. It folds up like an old medium-format folder and it is smaller than most DSLR's.. Each is custom made but usually costs less than $1000. Here's a link: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

Famous last words... Ok. Just 5 more lenses a scanner and I'M DONE! No large format for me! Very Happy

Edit: If Leica makes a digital, full-frame M rangefinder, I'll get that too. Then I'll be done.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Chako Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Ha ha Nando. I seem to recall warning you about photography being rather addicting when you first started lol.

My first SLR was an Olympus OM10 which I had bought in grade 9. This was after learning on my Kodak Retinette 1A (which my father allowed me to play with since I was about 8 years old). Now the photos that little gem took were amazing. I never could replicate the quality that little fixed lens beauty could do with the Olympus camera. I strongly suspect my lenses were below grade because at the time I simply didn't know any better and had fewer funds to buy anything even if I did.

I haven't shot film since 2000 though when I sold all my dark room equipment and went fully into digital with a Nikon Coolpix 990. I don't miss film much, even though at times, I still get a hankering for wet chemistry. Lucky for me, I work in a place that allows me to indulge in that aspect when I need it.

Ken, I am serious; I do have an Oly 35 SP with your name on it. If you want it, I can keep it at the main office at work and you can pick it up anytime that it is convenient to you. Just give me a day, and I can give you the place. Smile
Chako
Chako

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:25 pm

The reality is that a single Leica body with a 35mm, a 50mm, and a 90mm is all I would every need for the rest of my life. I probably would only need a single body and a fast 50mm for the vast majority of my photographs actually.... Yet, I nearly bought a 300mm f/4 Sonnar yesterday. Embarassed

I buy used and, so far, I never lost money in the secondary market. Except for a handful of items, I'm confident that I can sell what I have for more money than what I paid initially. So essentially, most the gear was free - I'm just paying for film. Very Happy

Last edited by on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Chako Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Ha! Well I almost contemplated getting into medium format after holding your newest camera. Then I pinched myself and figured I had better stick with DSLRs. Besides, I could always try to buy 127 film and use my 4x4 Gray baby Rolleiflex.
Chako
Chako

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanks for the generous offer, Chako but I have a few rangefinders and don't really NEED another one, even if I want one. As much as I'd love a new 35 SP it's probably best if you offer it to someone who hasn't yet discovered them. Maybe try putting it on the buy & sell t see if someone is interested.

So many people discovered photography in the digital age, I recommend all of them try out film for a change and a 35 SP is a nice way to go in my opinion.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm using a Nikon D50...and love it!!! Looking at investing in some more lenses soon....
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikef Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 pm

I've seen photos from rangefinders, and have read what I can about them.. but the appeal escapes me. I guess I'll have to hold one to find out what the mystique is about these cameras.

As for my gear, I have a Canon 300D w/battery grip, 50/1.8, kit 18-55, 75-300, and a Lensbaby 2.0. Pretty standard gear for someone just starting out. As for gear that I want (and can afford), it's a Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma or Tamron 18-200/18-250mm, and the new 40D body. That list right there is more than the cost of all my kit including tripod and memory.. *sigh*. I'm also considering a flash or two, but I think a gear upgrade is in order first.

I process most of my photos either in Digital Photo Professional (standard Canon software), or in ACR/CS2.. although I'm trying to transition away from ACR to LR. As for output.. Flickr. I do have a few prints made, and am considering a few more but from a different printer. The last printer I used seemed to over expose my shots by about 1/3 stop and I ended up with blown highlights. Duggans has been recommended to me..
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 pm

mikef wrote:I've seen photos from rangefinders, and have read what I can about them.. but the appeal escapes me. I guess I'll have to hold one to find out what the mystique is about these cameras.

Are you into automobiles? Think of 35mm rangefinders as the sports cars of cameras with the Leica M's being the like Porsche 911's. It isn't just the camera, its the way of shooting and seeing with it. Plus there are many other advantages for using RF's.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by mikef Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Which I obviously can't grasp by reading, much like how I can't grasp the sure ecstasy of driving a 911 by only reading about them. I guess when we finally have a group outing I'll have to convince someone to bring their RF.

edited to add: I'm a certified car nut.
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum