Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dirt.

+2
Nando
viewsthroughmylens
6 posters

Go down

Dirt. Empty Dirt.

Post by viewsthroughmylens Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Help!!!!

Seems that no matter what I do I am always ending up with dirt spots all over my pictures. I had some dirt stuck on sensor in the early spring, but it seems that every time I change my lens, no matter how careful I am, I get more dirt?! I don't know what is going on. I have no idea what to do differently. And I'm so very very frustrated. Thoughts? Ideas?

I have lots of pictures I can post if you need an example....
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Dirt. Empty Re: Dirt.

Post by Nando Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 pm

VTML,

I wish that I could help you but I don't have much experience with digital cameras. I once helped a student clean a sensor on her SLR but that was basically it. She wasn't experiencing any significant increase in dirt or dust every time she changed a lens. There were just a few spots.

I'm sure that our digital shooters can probably give you some advise.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Unfortunately I can't really help you out either. I have the Nikon D80, and have experienced a few dust spots on my pictures (more pronouced at f/8 - f/22). I've researched a few different types of cleaning products, but am too chicken to try them on my sensor. I find myself cleaning up a few spots on my landscape shots in Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop.

Not sure how to explain why you are seeing such a high rate of dirt/dust buildup, and can't really provide any tips and tricks. I don't do anything special when changing out lenses. I do try to keep it to a minimum, and try to avoid windy/dusty areas when doing so. But sometimes you really have no choice, and just have to do it as quickly as possible.

You can always upgrade to the new D90 just announced... it has a dust cleaning system built in now Smile Sorry I can't be of more help.
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:46 pm

VTML,

Are the lenses and lens-filters clean?
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:13 am

As far as I know they are. I have no idea where the dirt actually is, I just know that I see it when I look through my view finder, and then it shows up on my images. Sure, I don't mind getting rid of a couple spots here and there, but there are tons.....and all the time. Ughhh.

Bahaha. A D90? I wish. Unfortunately I don't even know about all the things that I can do with what I have!!
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:08 am

Seeing it through the viewfinder is weird. I know on my 20D if I go to the lower apertures (like Bryan mentioned) I'll start seeing some spots. This is mostly because the camera is 3 years old now and I've never cleaned the sensor, it probably could use a cleaning but I'm lazy.

The 40D has a sensor cleaning system built-in which is nice but I'm still careful with that.

What sort of situations are you changing your lenses in? Do you leave the camera on when you change them etc? I know it shouldn't matter but there's sometimes a static build-up when the camera is on and when you detach a lens dirt can stick easier etc (this is what I read online -- actuality of it I'm not sure).

Is it all your lenses you are seeing this on or just a few particular lenses? I only ask because if it's all lenses I'll say it's the sensor. If it's one or a couple it's the lenses.

Do you use filters at all on your lenses? If so is it the same filter switched between them, maybe that has a smudge? Possible finger print/smudge on the sensor as well maybe (or internal glass underneath area thing place -- it's late and my vocabulary sucks).

Take multiple shots of a solid coloured object (such as a wall) with the lowest aperture you can get to f/22 etc. Use all your lenses and see if the spots are in the same spot or different spots. This will help narrow down the culprit.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:17 am

VTML, Curt has given good advice on seeing the spots better. If you're seeing the same spots thru the viewfinder, they're not on the sensor. Could be the lens, but probably the mirror. If the dirt is on your mirror, it would explain why it ends up on your sensor. That mirror slaps pretty hard moving the air and dirt around in your camera. If that dirt wasn't removed when you cleaned your sensor, it would only have been a matter of time until it made it's way to the chip.

My technique when changing lenses is to unscrew the lens on the camera without removing it.(it's just loose) Remove the rear cap on the lens you're about to put on. Once both of these are done, it's a quick switch. Be careful not to move too fast, as this will create a draft, potentially blowing dust into the camera.
As BJ said, avoid dusty/windy areas.

Sounds like you need another cleaning. I'd first remove the dust from the sensor, then from the mirror and interior of the camera.

Hope that helps.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Thank you guys for all you help! I'm looking back and trying to figure out more specifics re which lens, etc. The frustrating part is that it seems every time I change a lens, even if everything has been clean prior, and it's 'optimum' lens changing conditions I get spots. Keeps making me wonder if I'm doing something wrong!? (Or it could just be my shitty luck...lol.)
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

Back to top Go down

Post by akaishuu Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:32 pm

As a side note with the RB67. I would suggest finding a grip for that beast. Maybe you're happy preciously holding a cinderblock, but I do wonder how that will go for you in the field.
Also, I got my stuff in one package and didn't really do much lens purchasing or trading. I have heard that there are differences with mamiya lenses depending on where they are manufactured. Some are supposed to be high contrast others low, all within the same lens type. I can't really vouch for this, it's only something I've heard conversationally.

neon beer signs
Bullion Bars

akaishuu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down