Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lake Superior

+2
Kenneth Armstrong
bjotoole
6 posters

Go down

Lake Superior Empty Lake Superior

Post by bjotoole Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Thought I'd share a few photos that I took of Lake Superior this past weekend. These were taken along the shoreline about 10 minutes north of Pancake Bay. It was a pretty cool sight to see, with the snow & ice starting to pile up. The colours in the ice was also pretty wild, and totally unexpected. I'm hoping to make my way back there this weekend, to see how that last storm changed things. You can view larger versions on my Flickr site.

Looking out from within an ice cave
Lake Superior 3339166627_7c98c56424

A view of the snow & ice starting to pile up
Lake Superior 3343344444_5070c4cc41

A snapshot of my friend Phil inside one of the ice caves, just to give a little bit of an idea of the size of them.
Lake Superior 3343113008_f994bd7a94
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Lake Superior Empty Re: Lake Superior

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah, that's pretty wild. Those blues are just gorgeous. Got any more?
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I'm still going through a bunch, so there may be more that I may post, but these were my favourite ones. Here's one of some ice formations that looked pretty cool. I thought it looked like a jaw with teeth... I titled it "Winter's Bite"

Lake Superior 3345664072_6d8fcd063b
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm

This place seems made for colour. I'm too chicken to go into the woods.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Agawa_Bob Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Lk. Superior is made for Black and White photos in the winter. The bears are still sleeping- don't worry.

Bob

Agawa_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 pm

I had the day off, so I took a drive up north again. This time I kept going until I got to the Alona Bay scenic lookout. It was a little bit of a task getting down the steep drop-off to the shoreline, but the trouble was worth it. Here's one of the photo's:

Lake Superior 3352219782_87dbae8951

Agawa_Bob made reference to black & whites, so I'll have to try converting some to see how they look. If I like the results, I'll post a few. Thanks for looking.
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Agawa Bob is right. Winter scenes would especially look good in black and white. The quality of light and the winter scenes would produce very nice tones, especially on a big negative.

I do the opposite of most people. I like shooting colour in the winter and spring while I prefer black and white in the fall and summer. I have a hard time composing with colour - it introduces too many variables into my thought process. The more colourful a scene, the worse I do. I can see myself eliminating colour photography entirely.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Nando wrote:I can see myself eliminating colour photography entirely.

Ah--a great task for but one man.

Nice shots BJOT Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:00 pm

I mean eliminating colour photography from my own shooting, of course... You can't shoot colour like you shoot black and white. One is like rugby, the other is like football. I don't like switching mindsets.

I like number three. The cave, or whatever that icy thing is, looks like a Van Gogh sky. The smooth snow covered ground like a smooth low-lying hills. Good opportunity to add a few more characters and/or objects to the scene to create a surreal Van Gogh-like composition.

Edit: Before Ken says anything, I'm thinking something Van Gogh's 'Field with Cypresses' or 'Two Women in the Moor'. Something like that.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:48 pm

I particularly like the one with your friend... Looks like it could be in a magazine! Or for the Mountain Coop Equipment catalog... since they use their member's photos for the catalog!

Anyhoo, it looks really good... We have been wanting to do the same thing, but just have not found the time (or motivation in my case) to go...
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 am

Still slowly sorting through all the photos taken in my last two outings... Here's a shot of an ice tunnel that I really liked. You can view this in full size on my Flickr site.

Lake Superior 3353980573_9d0a4daf99
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:35 am

Oh yeah, and thanks everyone for taking the time to view and comment.
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 pm

And one last shot from my Lake Superior set. Based on Agawa_Bob's comment about Superior in Winter being made for B&W, I thought I'd try it out. Here's my result:

Lake Superior 3359575467_3d8091aac7

I don't do a lot of B&W work, so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to make some comments. Image can be viewed large from my Flickr site.
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:19 am

I like the black and white. The sky's a nice darkness. The snow has a nice silky feel.
I like the color ice shots also, but I think I like the 3rd one mainly because it really gives perspective to the size of these HUGE frozen water constructions.
That shark's mouth ice formation was another favorite.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 pm

I like the last B&W photo the best. The B&W conversion isn't too bad. My first instinct is to cut off the bottom half, however. Have you tried using a normal or telephoto for your landscapes?
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks for the feedback Colin. You're about the third person that has mentioned liking the shot with my buddy in the ice cave. It was honestly just a quick snapshot, as he was having a difficult time getting out. I took it just for a laugh.

Nando, I haven't really played around with the crop too much, but maybe I'll try a few different ones. At the moment, all I have is the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lenses. I've never tried shooting with the 50 for landscapes, so everything has been with the 18-70. I've always been drawn to the wide angle shots, and have a wide angle lens on my wish list as a result. I've never really thought about using a telephoto lens for landscapes, but I'm sure they have their place. Something to consider I guess. Thanks for your feedback as well.
bjotoole
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down