Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classes?

+7
Chako
mightymalibu
Kenneth Armstrong
hemi_69
JKnxdk
crowellphotographs
lizzardskills
11 posters

Go down

Classes? Empty Classes?

Post by lizzardskills Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 am

Does anyone know of photography classes? Other than the college.
lizzardskills
lizzardskills

Back to top Go down

Classes? Empty Re: Classes?

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 am

What kind of classes are you looking for. (i don't mean to hijak the topic but...) Is anyone else interrested in photography classes other than what is offered at the college?
If so, what would you like to have covered by the class.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzardskills Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:52 am

lol everything! I need hands-on help someone to actually show me reading about it isn't doing it for me! My camera is not an slr so I can get good pictures without much adjustments....I want to know about everything!
lizzardskills
lizzardskills

Back to top Go down

Post by JKnxdk Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 am

That's how I am, learn more hands on rather then reading. Would love to be able to learn more to improve.
JKnxdk
JKnxdk

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi_69 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 am

I could stand to learn some stuff too, especially now that I'm still trying to get through the learning curve of my DSLR
hemi_69
hemi_69

http://www.matthewsfamilyonline.info

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzardskills Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:13 pm

Thats why I want to learn....so I can buy a dslr. I don't want to until I know enough on how to use it somewhat.
lizzardskills
lizzardskills

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Well first off, I'll admit that I'm a young guy, but please don't hold that against me. I don't pretend to know everything about photogrpahy, FAR FROM IT. But I do have a strong technical background and I try and learn more everyday. I had considered offering classes here in the Soo, but was unsure where to start. If I were to start putting some material together, would anyone be interrested in a learning field trip? It wouldn't be for a month or two (i'm pretty busy for the next little while) but it would be free. I figure a smaller group may be a good way for me to start to put a lesson plan together, if you guys don't mind being the guinnea pigs. I know there are some fantastic photographers here and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I just have a passion for photography and teaching.
Just off the top of my head, I was thinking of covering these areas. Please add suggestions.
- shutterspeed, aperture, ISO
-Camera function, What are A,S,P,M? Why would I use them?
-Exposure and Metering(in camera meter)
-White Balance
-What focal length of lens to use and why.
-Composition: guidelines, tips
-Black and white
- maybe a little flash work
-maybe a little trick photography( a little, this is one area I haven't studied that much. I've focused more on traditional)
-Light, how to use it, how to make due with what's there.
-Maybe study a few of the masters. I could recommend some names for everyone to go research. Inspiration is motivation.

We can also discuss post production(photoshop), though it will not be possible to have a formal class on this. (need a bunch of laptops, big screen, 20,000$ in photoshop.)

I would love some feedback as to wether this is what you are looking for. Any suggestions would help.
I believe that assignment based field trips would be very helpfull, but no pressure. The trick to growing as a photographer is to ignore how the people around you are doing. Everyone learns at their own pace. And the only way to learn, is to study why you're not 100% satisfied with your last shot. (actually, I don't think anyone ever really is.)

Also, Sorry Lizzardskills for the Hijak. Would you like me to open a new thread?
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:20 pm

I was very involved in the Toronto photo groups when I lived there and we had a lot of success with photo meet-ups. I've tried to arrange a couple of them through Flickr but it's always only me and another guy who show up. Maybe I'd have more luck organizing them here.

There were a few different things we would do:

1) An outing where we would buddy up a new photographer with an experienced one. That way someone who is new can really get some good one-on-one time with an experienced photographer in the field.

2) In-studio shooting. Some members had studio setups and would volunteer their studio and lighting for the group. We would bring in some models and make up artists and really have a great time. Might be a bit too ambitious for Sault Ste Marie but I'm sure we could try something like this.

3) Beer-ups. These were stand-alone events or often followed the other events. Just a bunch of photo enthusiasts sharing a few drinks and snapping a few pictures.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzardskills Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:34 pm

I would be interested in both those! Time is an issue with me...I have a 3yr old at home and I don't drive this is part of the reason I'm not out EVERYDAY cause I would be lol.
lizzardskills
lizzardskills

Back to top Go down

Post by JKnxdk Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:47 pm

I would be interested in both of those as well.

I'm in the same boat, I have a 2 yr old and a 7 mth old at home so I don't get much time out until my husband gets home from work. I myself don't drive either (never bothered to do the road test lol) but will be working on that. My husband doesn't mind me getting out and him staying home with the kids, he knows how much of a stress relief it is for me to get away for a moment with my camera. I have had a chance to get out by myself a few times and he stayed with them and it gave me the chance to learn more about my camera. No where near the level where anyone else is here but I'm learning slowly.

There really isn't anyone else thatI know that I can get out with and learn first hand from. So everything I know is mainly self taught just by trying new things.... which isn't much I should say lol.
JKnxdk
JKnxdk

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi_69 Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:48 pm

deffenitlyl a great idea, i'd be up for that for sure
hemi_69
hemi_69

Back to top Go down

Classes? Empty Some one to go and shoot with

Post by mightymalibu Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Always looking for someone who loves taking pictures to go shoot with, sometimes we all get busy with our lives, But i know im going out this evening for some nice nite action shots, see what i can come up with, if anyone wants to tag along or go shooting, let me know....
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi_69 Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 pm

That sounds like a good dea Malibu, We'll have to get together some time and go. I went out today for about an hour but I'm not overly impressed with anything I shot
hemi_69
hemi_69

Back to top Go down

Classes? Empty going shooting

Post by mightymalibu Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Gets to be the same color of scenes over and over , running out of places to shoot in the Sault, pretty much covered lots of it, Ill have to keep driving around and looking....
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

Post by hemi_69 Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:28 pm

exactly my problem, i headed out 5th line way today but same ol sh#% out there
hemi_69
hemi_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Chako Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:43 pm

I hear you. I think I have killed Bellevue Park, picture wise..but then when I get out there, there is always something different to shoot. It is amazing what escaped your notice on any given day.

One of the reasons why I have made so many photographic educational posts on Soonet.ca is because of time constraints. I am not able to go out much because work is all encompassing. I do get my summer months off though, and that is the time I tend to do much of my photography.

Anyways, I did teach High School photography for 3 years. There are tentative talks from the Principal that she might bring back the course next year...so who knows what the future may hold.

Regardless, what a wonderful idea. I only wish I could lend more of a help other then an online persona.
Chako
Chako

Back to top Go down

Classes? Empty AGA has a class coming in August

Post by mikef Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 am

I was just browsing the Art Gallery of Algoma website and noticed that they have a 4 day workshop August 7 - 10 (Thurs - Sun).

http://www.artgalleryofalgoma.ca/Default.aspx?l=,1,548,609
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm in the same boat as Chako. We're co-workers. As opposed to popular opinion, teaching takes up a lot of time.

I teach computer classes in the morning and in one of the courses, Gr10 Technology Communications, there is a large component dealing with computer graphics. We use Corel Draw Suite 12 as that is what is installed on school computers. We cover basic photo editing using Corel Photo Paint. I normally allocate some class time for students to use the computers in my lab to work on personal projects. The vast majority of them use that time to fiddle around with their photographs. They bring their cameras in with questions of how to do this and how to do that almost on a daily basis. Unfortunately many of the things that they want to do, can't be done with their digital point & shoots.

I wouldn't mind meeting with other photographers for discussion. I usually prefer to shoot alone but it depends on the subject matter. This weekend I'm meeting with a friend to talk photography and then we'll go out shooting together, weather permitting. I'm bringing my Arax-88, he's bringing his Hassy 500C and we'll be comparing the cameras and our lenses. Hasselblad vs Hasselbladski. Nothing too scientific really, it will just be for fun.

Wouldn't mind taking a classes or workshops. I don't necessarily consider myself a beginner but wouldn't mind picking the brains of photographers with more experience. Now that I'm into medium format, I probably could use some lessons on using artificial lighting and flash. Up to this point, I never used flash... a matter of theology.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:42 am

Being a shift worker really gets in the way of getting out as well, but I would love to explore the idea further. Would really like to meet more of our talented local photographers, learn some tips and tricks, and maybe make some new friends.
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by mightymalibu Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:47 am

Im all for that as well, I can always learn some new things, and share what I know.....
mightymalibu
mightymalibu

Back to top Go down

Post by mikef Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am

Well then, let's all get out sometime? I've been on two Flickr-meets, with only one other member.. it'd be nice to do a group.
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by lakehouse Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi there...very new...first visit and post...I would also be very interested in classes...both mentioned are fantastic ideas.

lakehouse

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 pm

I'd be in for both. I've done the class at the college, and been to one other workshop that covered the basica, but there is always so much more to learn and I can only absourb so much at once. Hopefully the spring will bring some nice weather and more opportunities for meet ups, 'classes', and just something other than snow!! lol.
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down