Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Print Swap 08

5 posters

Go down

Print Swap 08 Empty Print Swap 08

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:10 am

Reading the recent threads around here and the fact many of us seem to have empty wall space I thought it might be a good idea to do a print swap. We sign up and draw a name from someone else and get the print.

I suggest we limit this to 8x10" so it's affordable for everyone. Occasionally Black's even has weekends where you get a free 8x10, maybe if we have an insider they can let us know when that is. 8x10's are also affordable to frame. I suggest that prints be pre-framed before you give them away. We're going to have to buy a frame either way, I think it's best to frame the one you're giving away so it's ready for the other person to hang. If we left it for the recipient to frame it may never get done.

I've done a few of these kinds of things on other photo boards, so I will organize. So here's the guidelines:

Your framed print must be ready by November 20th. Anybody who has not got theirs ready by then will be eliminated and won't give or receive a print. Every time I've done something like this there are always people who sign up but then never do it, for one reason or another and someone gets left out because someone didn't bother to do their part. This is almost a month away, so there should be no excuses of "oh I didn't have the money" for a $5 print and a cheap frame. If you can't afford to do this then please don't sign up.

I will draw names out of a hat to see who gets what. I would like to see a photo of the finished print to ensure everything is ready. I will organize this event but I won't participate so nobody thinks I pick my favorite for myself.

We should try and get-together to do the swap, if not I can pick them up and distribute them.

Last step is to post a picture of the print you get up on your wall in this thread. I would say that anything goes, but try to keep it clean. Some people won't mind having nudes up but other people will. I suggest keeping it a secret which print you will give.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Print Swap 08 Empty Re: Print Swap 08

Post by Cujo Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Interesting idea - can I sneak in 8x12 if I participate Wink. That's what I currently print at as I just like it better (call me weird - and I didn't start with film so that may be part of it).

I'll also have to convince Jes to let me hang whatever as she's strict on the black frame/white matte thing Wink
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I think this is a great idea, and one that I'll seriously consider. My only hesitation is that I'm not too sure what Essar Steel Algoma Inc. is planning to do for layoffs. I know that this isn't a major expense by any means, but with Christmas coming up, I need to keep spending to a minimum. I should know more within the next 2 weeks what ESAI is doing, and will probably sign up should my job appear safe.
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Lots of time, don't sweat it. And like I said, if the timing is right we might even be able to take advantage of a promotion that Black's does once in a while for a free 8x10 or 8x12.

Personally I wouldn't go crazy with matting or fancy framing. Stick an 8x10 in an 8x10 frame or a frame that has a pre-cut matte.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm in. I suggest that we just exchange prints and forget about matting and framing as that adds significantly to the costs.

Cujo, preferring the 2x3 ratio has nothing to do with starting with digital or film. When Oscar Barnack was inventing the first true 35mm film camera at Leica, he decided to use the 2x3 ratio because it was very close to the golden ratio. This gave the photographer a better apply classical principals of geometry when it came to aesthetics.

Look here:
http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/golden_rectangle.html

Other camera and film makers didn't put that much thought into the aspect ratio. 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 was somewhat standardized because they were commonly used for large-format photography in the United States. This is one of the problems I encountered when going to a larger format. 6x9 medium format cameras are limited to very few models - most of them quite old. Don't really like 6x7 ratio medium format or 4x5 ratio large-format cameras. So I chose 6x6 square format as the square aspect ratio offers a lot of opportunities to exploit geometry however different approaches must be taken. Some techniques used when shooting 2x3 will have a different effect on a square.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Yah I guess, but I'm concerned someone will get a print and then throw it in a junk drawer. I figure if you have to frame it anyway you might as well get it done up front.

I get a lot of my prints 8x12 as well, and then at the very least I can crop it myself instead of looking at it on-screen.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Is this the signup thread or just discussion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Let's go with both.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Then sign me up Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Question: Who chooses the print? The photographer or the recipient?

Edit: Forget the question. I missed it in the first original post.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:18 am

I guess AJ and Nando can swap seeing as no one else signed up.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:13 pm

This like the other thread - something I completely forgot about - the boards here somewhat died in Nov so I think most people fell off the radar on everything.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm

8x10's are BOGO at Blacks FYI.

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:49 pm

I like the idea of a print swap... It's an awesome way to display your art...
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down