Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighter photos

4 posters

Go down

Fighter photos Empty Fighter photos

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 am

A buddy of mine is a professional fighter. He needed some promo shots for a sponsor and I was obviously glad to oblige.
The first one is probably a little dark, and maybe too much magenta, (still need one more fix) but please let me know what you think.
The second image is a lot more "raw"(not the file format) than I normally shoot/print but I kind of like it.
I had mentioned before that I'm kind of going thru a phase where I'm gettin out of my safe zone with photos, I'd really like to hear if I've actually gone off the deep end or if this imperfect look works.

Fighter photos BrentPortraitSample

Fighter photos BrentKickSample
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Fighter photos Empty Re: Fighter photos

Post by Cujo Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Really like the first one and I think you were heading in an all right direction with the 2nd and I don't see anything wrong with it -- the edgier processing mixes well with the content/subject.

I think the thing throwing me off on it is the shadow coming off his planted leg (the one following the leg not the one heading towards the bag). A little more light on his left side of his face may have helped a bit up there but I suck with light so don't listen to me on that one Wink
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback Curt. Now that shadow is really bothering me too. I don't think I really payed much attention to it at first. It's going to have to go in the final version.
I'll also see if I can get a little more detail out of the dark side of his face.

Again, the feedback is much appreciated. This is a pretty different image and style for me.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm

I like them a lot, the labels behind the first pose lead my eye to them a bit too much. You probably don't have to remove them but may consider darkening them a bit.

I agree entirely with Curt on the 2nd one (maybe he knows more than he lets on) and I would like to see the beams illuminated a bit more (I think we had the beam discussion before)
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 pm

I'll admit to knowing how the light should look or would look good but getting me to execute it is a whole brand new story. I'm just limited on my use of flash right now, plan on buying a couple more speed lights and figuring crap out but until then I can just comment.

So in practice I have no experience, in commenting on solutions I'm an expert Wink
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 pm

I don't want to simply repeat what everyone else has said about the second shot, but the shadow coming from the right leg/punching bag is a tad awkward feeling--though I must say I like the idea and I think the shot as a whole was executed well.

The shadows and over-all lighting are hard to critique, because I understand all too well how difficult it can be to work with strobes in such small proximity (assuming by the looks of things that it is indeed a small indoor area)--also depending on exactly what you have at your disposal as far as triggers and flashes. Again, I have to say I'm liking the shot itself, and to me, it has a very cold/hard feel to it. You mentioned that's what you were going for, so good job.

With that out of the way, the first is just plain awesome. I think you have a perfect balance of main light hitting on his right side, and the left side of his face has just enough fill IMO. The fence is a perfect touch to finish it all off.

With stuff like this I think you just have to throw away what you think should look proper and go with the flow. Sadly sometimes doing so doesn't work out for me, but if you want to head in this direction I bet you'll find your groove in this style and get comfortable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Both are very good. I agree with Ken concerning the labels on the first one. Its an excellent photograph. The chicken wire is very suitable and it looks like he is sitting inside an mma cage. The thing behind the arm on the right is a tiny bit distracting.

With regards to the shadow that Curt is referring to, I like it.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Yah I mean it doesn't ruin the picture or anything but I find my eye is first drawn to his eyes, and then down to that white label behind his arm.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. These photographs have been a worse case scenario for me.
a)I always have trouble looking objectively at photographs of friends and family.
b)Like I said, it's a new kind of shooting/printing for me. Beyond my safe zone.
c)I've got a deadline on these and didn't really have the time I like to work, walk away for a few days, work, walk away..... when working on a new project.
I should be finishing these in the next day/day and a half. I'll post the final results.

It's a real shame that more people don't participate in this forum. With such great feedback from knowledgeable and well intentioned photographers it would be a great resource for anyone looking to better themselves.

Again, I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down