Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skate stuff

3 posters

Go down

Skate stuff Empty Skate stuff

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:20 pm

I felt rather uninspired while shooting these, but I'm feeling a bit more now that I've had some time to look at them.

Kaleb Demour doing the skating:

Skate stuff 2430273700_57e7a120ae
Nollie bigspin

Skate stuff 2429458697_57de0b2055
Kickflip

...and a bonus BMX shot.

Skate stuff 2429454467_905bc8089e
Dan Pandzic bikes.

Back to top Go down

Skate stuff Empty Re: Skate stuff

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:45 pm

I like those a lot, imagine a remote set up under the ramp with the pre-release cable and a fish Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 am

Just saw these on your flickr site. Really like the first one, I def have to come out with you one time to see your setup -- I'm trying to get in to the off camera lighting game but well very new at it all and only have my one flash for now (just got my hands on a 430EX to play around with for a bit as well).

I really like the first one, great use of the fish. And great lighting on the BMX shot.

I see the trains for the train yard but know it's not the train yard, is this by the Beer Store possibly on Bruce? Or are you further west down by the Marconi area and whatever that building is up there?

I went through your flickr site a week or so ago and I found it funny seeing the old places that used to be "my neighbourhood" when growing up, the old run down church on Cathcart across from the Hard Wok for example.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:24 am

Thanks for the comments guys Very Happy

Yeah, it's the big blue/grey warehouse near the Marconi/Carmen's Way.

I'm down for showing you the setup/how I use it. I'm thinking the next time we meet up I might just bring the lighting stuff and my board and we can all have some fun haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 am

Sounds good -- and I know my grungy west end settings Wink

I know you use PWs which I've looked at, I'm quite interested in RadioPoppers, they're new on the market but are getting high praise, you can work eTTL with them (or iTTL for the Nikon shooters out there) and you get the benefit of high speed sync etc. The Strobist has some test stuff up with them right now, he was firing them from the street and his lights were in the 3rd story studio etc.

I'm on another board with some high end photogs who got some prerelease ones and they have high praise of them as well. But I haven't used Wizards or Poppers so I just curious to seeing any work.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 am

That sounds neat indeed---radio transmitters that keep auto metering? Wild.

I've just about got used to the full manual thing that comes with shooting with PW's--find the proper M(anual) exposure, and just shoot away. Change ambient/flash ratios with shutter/aperture settings (and ISO Very Happy) on the go. It is nice in a way because there's no guesswork once the exposure is set. I find TTL flashes sometimes randomly over or under expose based on the smallest reflective hilight or mis-metering. Once you set it in M and power the flashes accordingly it's never going to change unless you fire two shots in a row too quickly and the flashes can't charge fully. Like I said though, it would definitely be a benefit to just toss it in auto every once in a while though...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:12 am

I haven't read anything about the poppers being able to trigger a remote camera. Anthony knows I'm dying to do that, I bug him about it all the time.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:35 pm

The shadow of the skateboard in the first photo looks weird in a similar way as the shadow in the famous portrait of Picasso by André Villars but not as weird. Whereas the shadow in Villar's photo of Picasso was obviously faked, the strangeness in the shadow in your photo may be due to the fisheye effect combined with the lighting. The lighting is nice.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Kenneth Armstrong wrote:I haven't read anything about the poppers being able to trigger a remote camera. Anthony knows I'm dying to do that, I bug him about it all the time.

Yeah I don't think they can remote trigger a camera -- actually I'll say they can't. What they are doing is grabbing the info from your master flash's IR, transferring that into a RF and sending that to the receivers where the receivers reconvert back to an IR signal through some fibre optic cable that you connect from the RF receiver to the IR part of your flash. They work in eTTL/iTTL as well as in manual mode. Only shipping in the US right now but they definitely seem cool for the off camera flash folk.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:53 pm

I haven't read anything about the poppers being able to trigger a remote camera. Anthony knows I'm dying to do that, I bug him about it all the time.

Yeah Very Happy Don't worry Ken, we'll get it going one day...

The shadow of the skateboard in the first photo looks weird in a similar way as the shadow in the famous portrait of Picasso by André Villars but not as weird. Whereas the shadow in Villar's photo of Picasso was obviously faked, the strangeness in the shadow in your photo may be due to the fisheye effect combined with the lighting. The lighting is nice.

I'm not familiar with the work you speak of, but now that you mention it, that is one weird shadow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 pm

[quote="Anthony Armstrong"]
I'm not familiar with the work you speak of, but now that you mention it, that is one weird shadow.
I couldn't find the original photo, so maybe it is not so famous. It's a photo of Comrade Picasso with his faithful FED 2 and a rural Spanish house in the background. I did manage to find a tight crop taken from the original photo.

Skate stuff Picasso%20w%20camera%20JPEG
Source: "Picasso's Camera," Detroit Museum of New Art: http://www.detroitmona.com/picasso%27s_camera.htm
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down