Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands

3 posters

Go down

Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands Empty Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands

Post by Nando Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Lenswork Magazine, the best photography magazine in the world, will no longer be sold on newstands. So if anybody here is planning a trip to Sudbury just to get the magazine, you will be disappointed. Lenswork is not going away though. It will be available through subscriptions or single-issue sales through the Lenswork website.

I very much respect their decision given that 70% of magazines printed go to waste.

More info here:
http://www.lenswork.com/newsstand.html

Just got Lenswork 75 in the mail on Monday. Smile
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands Empty Re: Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:54 pm

I have to admit I was ignorant to this magazine until Mike brought one to the second meet. I'd love to look through them sometime.

If I pick up one more magazine on the newsstand that has "DSLR WARS" on the cover I'm going to puke.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands Empty Re: Lenswork Magazine no longer on newstands

Post by mikef Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:53 pm

That's a real shame, but not being a popular and pricey magazine I could see how there would be wastage. I'm glad Indigo carried while they did. I guess I'll be getting a subscription!!
mikef
mikef

http://photos.mikefetherston.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Well apparently other magazines attract the advertisers with their distributorship. So its not how many magazines they actually sell but how many magazines they produce and distribute. So I guess that most other magazines wouldn't care if 70% of their production goes to waste. Lenswork doesn't have any advertisements so they wouldn't have a need for a large distributorship.

Lenswork is pricey but they do use a beautiful (and expensive) duo-tone printing process on the same quality paper found in photobooks and the magazines themselves become very collectible. They really don't lose value. Like I said in our 2nd meeting, I've seen backissues of Lenswork go for around $20 on eBay on a regular basis. Occasionally over $40 and $50, especially if the if backissue is no longer available from the publisher. Originally they cost $10-$13 on the news stand. There are very few periodicals that can give this type of return.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down