Gros Cap - A Curt and Bryan Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gros Cap - A Curt and Bryan Thread

Post by Cujo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

See that I threw Bryan under the bus there because I'm super awesome and full of awesomeness.

Anyway the BryGuy and I headed out to Gros Cap yesterday - I awoke with one hell of a head cold but kept the meet-up anyway - because when I remember that something is supposed to be going down I'm there! It was fun to get out but I'm sort of impatient - Bryan would get out his tripod, frame a shot, take some pics, chimp the LCD, take some more shots, move his tripod, take some more shots. Whereas I would slide down ice slides, get stuck in the snow etc etc.

I tried the whole take out the tripod thing a couple of times but gave up on it as well as most of my lenses and just shot with the Tokina 10-17mm and a gorillapod here and there (basically the shots you see me in - although the first I think is still my tripod).

So me not being the landscape guy here are my shots - Bryan will follow up with his shots I'm sure so outshine mine Wink and as I said on FB - nothing special but thought I'd contribute as it's been a bit.

Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gros Cap - A Curt and Bryan Thread

Post by bjotoole on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:59 pm

I don't know Curt... Your shots turned out real nice and very interesting. I love the look of that fisheye... It definitely adds a different look to landscapes. I haven' had a real good chance to go through and work on many of my shots, but I really liked this particular one:

I had to layer two differently exposed shots in Photoshop to get a properly exposed image. I tried to keep it natural looking, and realistic to how it actually appeared.

P.S. If I had to lug around a tripod as heavy as Curt's, I wouldn't want to use it either... That thing is a real beast!
bjotoole

View user profile http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Is that the crevice with the ice that started to crack on you? You were shooting in there while I decided to try to climb the rock wall?
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Yup, that would be the one.
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 am

I like #3 because Curt is mirroring the rock/ice formation.

Cracking ice? Did you nearly fall into that pool green slime Bryan? I thought that Gros Cap would be safe enough. I think stay in the city and risk being cursed at, whacked with purses and harassed by security guards. I can handle people better than nature and I know my cell phone will work within city limits in case I need 911.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 pm

I still really like how the shots of the dock turned out. There's just something about it.

Cracking ice vs. Nutty people....give me the ice!! lol. I'm not sure that I'm as brave as Bryan, but I'd still take my chances I think.

Nice shots guys! Can't wait to see more of yours Bryan.
viewsthroughmylens

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I really respect how you were able to keep your processing consistent. The colours in the sky and dock are really nice and you definitely have a "look" here.
Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks guys. My docks shots were basically me tagging along with Bryan as he was shooting his "dock shot series". I was feeling horrible sitting on the bank so while Bryan was doing his whole tripod/frame/shoot/chimp/frame/shoot routine I leaned against the one pole and fired away some shots. I also like how they turned out.

Now Bryan... where the hell are your shots! Wink
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 am

These are great! Those dock shots are so crisp and feel so barren. Normally I might not, but I love the saturation of those shots.

Looks like a great day out on the ice.
crowellphotographs

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Since Curt is giving me crap, here's another one that I took with my whole tirpod/frame/shoot/etc. routine. Done while Curt was patiently waiting, aka goofing around Smile This is actually an HDR image, composed of three exposures shot in bracket mode. This was done to maintain detail in the snow and ice, while keeping the dock and shadows properly exposed without introducing noise. No tone mapping done to give it that typical "HDR" look and feel... I wanted to keep this as natural and realistic as possible. My apologies to those who are not fans of the process. Can be viewed in larger sizes from my Flickr site.

Last edited by bjotoole on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 pm

With that routine, I think an 4x5 or 8x10 field camera would suit you well.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:26 pm

I like it, and it's the total opposite of Curt's pics. Much more subdued.
Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:03 am

I don't know much (or anything really) about that type of equipment, but hey, maybe one day that will be something in my future.

Thanks Ken... I think it's neat how two people can capture the same subject at the same time, and have completely different results and visions. I actually love viewing different styles such as Curt's, but I don't have the vision to actually pull off those funky styles in my own work.
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:04 pm

I also like how we envisioned the bridge in two separate ways.

I obviously bumped up my saturation a bit but not really a lot and your version seems to have drop the saturation of the bridge down a bit. My memory had it looking more red/orange - I went back and looked at the SOOC shot and it was more red. Did you bring yours down a bit or was that what you were talking about when I sent you some other SOOC shots and they seemed more vibrant?
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Bryan,

Nothing can beat a large-format negative when it comes to sheer image quality, detail and spacial power. With an 8x10 camera, you can make a direct transfer from the big 8x10 negative to a 8x10 contact print. Good contact prints will stand out from across a room. If you are the type that likes to use a methodical process, a large-format photography maybe something that you would like. For serious landscapes, large-format is the way to go. It is possible to get a reasonable large-format kit for less than a new dSLR setup these days.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Curt, you're right. Not sure what the hell I was thinking, but I must have reduced the saturation at some point in my messing around. Went back and corrected the colours, matching what was in the original. Don't I feel like an arse now!

Thanks for the info Nando... I'll have to start reading up on these.
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top