Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shiny things...

5 posters

Go down

Shiny things... Empty Shiny things...

Post by thirdfloorgirl Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Like I said a month ago, I built a lightbox to take pictures of vintage jewellery a friend of mine collects. It's been a learning experience, as I had to work with a flash and I am not used to it, and working with shiny things is not always easy. Not to mention how tired my back was after spending 5 hours bent over my camera... But, I think they turned out alright, but I need to learn more about this, I seem to have a real hard time with my white balance... The only shot that was really good without being photoshoped, was the first one, but I added two more... It's not the stuff I would usually do, but it was a good learning experience!

Shiny things... IMG_6660-1

Shiny things... IMG_6704-1

Shiny things... IMG_6740-1
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Shiny things... Empty Re: Shiny things...

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 pm

I think they turned out great, hopefully your friend is happy with them.

The first one is especially nice.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am

I think that your friend should be very happy with the results. You did a good job.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm

We are not done... We have only covered half of her inventory!!!!!!!!!! So... hopefully the second half will go well... She was very happy with the results so far.

:-)
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:55 am

Great shots!

There's my absolute LEAST favorite part of photography. Metal and glass thru a light tent. ICK!!! You however seem to have done really well.

I really like the first ones. With pieces like the last one, you may have to close up any openings in the tent. Still beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am

The only constructive criticism I can give is to watch your backgrounds. They probably should be more uniform, but other than that you're doing good work.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 am

I still have not mastered the totally white background... I tried to do what you told me (take a picture of just the background and use that setting) but... I don't seem to be able to get the same result on each photo... When I got home, I realized my LCD on my camera was a lot brighter than my computer screen... they were so much darker than what I had originally seen on the display, so I played with Photoshop (no expert here!) and adjusted the levels... But as the day went buy, I noticed the change in lighting, and how it affected the shot (like in the 3rd picture)... I was also getting very tired, and so was my back! Fortunately, a colleague of mine has been doing photography for years ( actually did it for a living for a while ) and she has helped me a lot with just little things I should know... which were very helpful!

Thanks the comments Colin! And Ken, I will try to get the same results as the first and second pictures for the upcoming 150 or so pieces left we have to shoot! OUCH!
thirdfloorgirl
thirdfloorgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 pm

I've never done anything like this, so I can't really speak from experience, but perhaps the link below will have some tips to help you out for your next round of shooting.

Link - DIY Lightbox

Also, for your white balance, if you're not already doing so, shooting in RAW format will definitely help with making adjustments in post.

I think the results turned out pretty darn good... I'd be happy with them. Good luck with the rest of the shots.
bjotoole
bjotoole

http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down