Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye

2 posters

Go down

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye Empty Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye

Post by Nando Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:50 pm

For sale:

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye in T-mount. (a universal mount) Like new.

This is a great lens with a 180-degree field of view. The depth of field is immense even when the lens is wide-open at f/3.5. You can basically set this lens at f/8 and your SLR basically turns into a point-and-shoot! It is a circular fisheye so on a 35mm camera or 'full-frame' dSLR, you will get a circular crop. A dSLR with a smaller sensor will not get the full circle in the frame. This is an all manual lens with preset aperture. What does this mean? You set the aperture with the aperture ring on the lens, turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus the subject, lock in the aperture with the preset ring and fire the shutter. In reality, using this lens is a lot faster. Like I said, set it to f/8 and set the camera to aperture-priority mode and then use it like a point and shoot - everything will come out sharp.

Some photos of the actual item:

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye 3301532169_b405a5d881
The original box, the cute lens case and optional shoulder strap included.

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye 3301533885_a026514058
The lens. Includes everything you see here.

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye 3301535427_671b02f68b
My Pentax MX with the Peleng 8mm mounted. The camera is NOT included in this sale.

Why am I selling the lens?

I'm not going to go through with the project where I was going to be using this lens. Its a fantastic lens to have but I won't be using it. I rather see someone using this lens than it gathering dust on my coffee table. In addition, I need to clear my coffee table.

So what can you do with a 8mm circular fisheye?

Utilize a pleasant but unusual circular crop:

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye 441564804_a512767f8c
This is my own photo. Happens to be the first photograph that I ever sold. Circular crops look gorgeous in a square frame. Now you do have to do a little bit of post-processing to get it to be a perfect circle - it is actually just slightly oval. It's not a tremendous amount of work though.

There are lots of creative possibilities. Put the camera on the ground, for example, and you can get a shot like the one in the following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdpatsdp/1113326577/

Please take a look at the Peleng group on flickr for more examples:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/peleng/pool/

Now, as I mentioned earlier, most digital cameras will nice circle due to their sensor being smaller than the standard 35mm (full) frame. However, digital SLRs will have a great advantage over film SLR's for the following uses.

Panoramics. With proper imaging software, you can use the 8mm Peleng to create 360 by 180 degree panoramic photographs fairly easily and quickly. Here's a link to sample panoramics created with this lens by Samuel Mellert.
http://samuel-mellert.de/wordpress/?cat=4

Polar Panoramics. This is neat type of effect. After using the Peleng to create a large panoramic photograph, you can convert the x-y coordinates of the pixels to polar coordinates to create a panoramic globe. Your panoramic turns into a little world. Here's a link to an excellent example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamburgerjung/856892983/

Here's a link to the Polar Panoramics pool on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/43428515@N00/pool/

360-degree VR. Perhaps the most useful, commercial application for an 8mm circular fisheye. Again with proper imaging software (like Panoweaver and Quicktime VR) you can use the 8mm Peleng to create interactive 360-degree Virtual Reality panoramics. Here is an breathtaking excellent example of a VR Panoramics made using tha Peleng by Andrey Ilyin. (drag your mouse left/right and up/down for the full effect.)
http://vr.1drey.com/moscow/newyear01.html

Here's more examples of Andrey Ilyin's work.
http://vr.1drey.com/qtvr_intro.html

About the Universal T-mount
The T-mount is a universal mount and this lens can be used with almost any SLR. One must get a T-mount adapter for use on your camera and are attached to the T-mount with three screws. Included are two T-mount adapters. The one that is currently attached to the lens is Pentax K-mount. This will allow you to mount this lens on Pentax film SLR's with the K-mount and also the newer Pentax digital SLRs. I got another adapter but I'm not certain what camera it is for. I think its for Olympus but can be wrong. A friend of mine said that it looks like a Canon EOS adapter but I don't think he's right. In any case, you can find the proper T-mount adapter for your camera on e-Bay for $10-20. If you have more than one different camera system, you can get a t-mount adapter for each system and use this lens on every camera!

Includes:
    - The Peleng 8mm f/3.5 circular fish-eye lens
    - metal front cap
    - non-original plastic Pentax-K rear cap
    - original m42 metal rear cap (instead of a Pentax-K rear cap, an m42 rear cap was included by mistake when I bought it)
    - rear T-mount cap (screws onto the rear when no T-mount adapter is installed to protect the lens)
    - vinyl lens case with detachable shoulder strap
    - UV filter, Orange filter, and Yellow-Green filter
    - original box
    - original English and Russian-language manuals
    - An extra T-mount adapter for an unknown mount (probably Olympus, maybe Canon EOS).

Condition: Like new. Now, this lens was made at the BeLomo factory in Belarus where quality control is not up to the same standards as in Europe or Japan. There is only one issue that I want you to be aware of. There is some play in the T-mount. However, I found that this does not affect the photos. This is how it came from factory - a very common problem. Otherwise, its relatively a well-made lens. This is an all-metal lens with good, multi-coated glass. No plastics on the barrel or in the optics! It feels nice and looks cool on any camera.

Asking price: a firm $350 Canadian

Consider the alternatives. A brand new 8mm Peleng like this one will set you back more than $400 CDN. Most of the ones that I've seen go for $450-550 CDN - then factor in the shipping costs from the USA or from a country in the former Soviet Union or Eastern Block. A 8mm Sigma will cost over $800CDN (and its plastic). The infamous 8mm Nikkor will definitely set you back more than $2000 CDN - I really doubt that you'll find a nice one for under $3000 CDN, in fact.

If anyone is interested, I suggest you contact me before I change my mind about selling this lens. Very Happy If it doesn't sell locally within two weeks, I may put it the auction site. Contact me by sending me a PM (private message) on this website by clicking the "PM" button on the right. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, either publicly or privately. I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

Thanks for looking.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye Empty Re: Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fish-eye

Post by Nando Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:18 am

Ok, I guess that there isn't any interest locally. I'll probably be putting the lens up on e-Bay in the next few days.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by sieugaun Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

We Service Most Types and Brands of CNC Electronics

Conventional, SMD's, Multi Layer, CNC, Relay Logic, Surface Mount, and other circuit board construction methods are repaired and serviced by ACS Industrial Services, Inc.

If you do not see the manufacturer of your CNC Board of Component in Support CNC Manufacturers (listed below), don't worry. We can probably repair your CNC Board. Call to speak to one of our CNC repair customer service reps for help at 1-800-605-6419.

kissing tips
israel tours

sieugaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum