Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt - A Selection

+6
crowellphotographs
Nana G2006
Nando
Kenneth Armstrong
viewsthroughmylens
Cujo
10 posters

Go down

Egypt - A Selection Empty Egypt - A Selection

Post by Cujo Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Okay, I uploaded about 600 shots (just under) to Facebook for friends and fellow travellers to see. I uploaded 42 of my favs to another forum I'm on as we're able to upload 20 per post and they were all asking for them. I'll cut it down here to even less as I know we can't get as much up here.

Like I said in my other thread I had a problem with dust/grime/dirt and I believe it's all over my sensor right now but couldn't do anything about it there. I did clean some of it up in some of the shots in LR but got lazy near the end and just said "bah who cares, I'll clean them better if I decide to print them". Plus I goofed on the ISO on two occasions - camel riding and sunrise on Mt. Sinai - you win some you lose some Wink

To the shots:

1. Boy shot from my train window heading to Aswan:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-133

2. Boats docked at the Nubian village we had dinner at - shot handheld (all shots are - no tripods, no time for much):
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-225

3. Temple of Philae - sound and light show:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-402

4. Sunset on the nile, felluca boat sailing, my felluca was semi-banked off to the side waiting for our group to catch up:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-644

5. Felluca worker taking a break - felluca in the background - this shot almost came out how I wanted:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-690

6. Kom Ombo
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-745

7. Dinner our last night on the felluca, candle made with used water bottle:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-786

8. Karnak Temple:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-981
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Egypt - A Selection Empty Re: Egypt - A Selection

Post by Cujo Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:20 pm

9. Sunset at Karnak Temple:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-984

10. Light pole in Dahab:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-1172

11. Sunrise shot from the top of Mt. Sinai - check out the dirt/grime on the lens, check out the idiot shooting at ISO 3200 (it was 530 in the morning and I just spent 3 hrs climbing the mountain, that's the excuse I'm using anyway):
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-1340

12. Scene coming back down the mountain:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-1394

13. Tower at St. Catherine's Monastery at the bottom of Mt. Sinai - the infamous burning bush is inside the monastery:
Egypt - A Selection Adven-Egypt-1429

14. After coming off the boat from the Nubian village - I just like the body language in this shot, it's one of my favourite of the "people" shots I have:
Egypt - A Selection People-Egypt-260

15. Me on top of Mt. Sinai with my Egypt beard in full effect - 18 days of growth:
Egypt - A Selection People-Egypt-1286
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 pm

Awesome!!! These are great shots, despite all the 'issues' you had to overcome.
viewsthroughmylens
viewsthroughmylens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

2, 8 and 14 are obvious stand outs to me. I like 1 as well but it's a little blown out. Wouldn't take much tweaking to get it to my liking Very Happy

They all look great, I'm pretty envious. My old roommate went in the 90's and spoke about it all the time, it was really life changing for him.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks VTML. I think I was harder on myself with the turnout I got on some of the shots mostly blowing the sunrise shots.

Thanks Ken. I forgot to mention that these were all basically straight out of camera as it took me a week and a half just to get through them and upload them to Facebook. Any tweaking more than cleaning dust etc would take me forever. I do plan on going back through and finding my favs and perfecting them.

I just grabbed the shot of the boy and brought it down a bit, hopefully make it to your liking now Wink It still needs work but this was quick.

Egypt - A Selection Adven-redo-Egypt-133
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 am

Nice photos. I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. Egypt is on my short list of places to visit.

When I need weather sealing, I use a plastic bag with a hole cut out for the lens. Usually a larger see-through freezer bag with ample room for me to move my hands. Works quite well for water or sand/dust. I also seen some people cling wrap their cameras (though that might be hard to pull off with a digital due to the plethora of buttons) or use electrical tape to cover any openings.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks Nando.

I was expecting sand etc when we'd be in the desert but just the air in general was thick and dirty. Hard to explain really when use to the air here. For example I can go outside here shoot for hours and not have to worry about the lens getting dirty etc. There you have your lens out for 5-10 mins and you need to clean it - something I clued into a bit of the way through the trip. By that time though I think it was too late for the innards of the camera.

It was an amazing trip and definitely an eye opener for another way of life and how people live etc. Makes you really think about what you have where you live.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Those are awesome man.

To be honest I find it hard to imagine myself going on a trip and coming back with anything nice at all, let alone a big bunch like you have here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks Anthony. I'm actually kind of upset I was so sick in Dahab as there was plenty of night life there to shoot and different setups etc.

The trip we were on was considered an "adventure" tour so you're basically backpacking through the country and using their forms of travel with the locals as well as staying in the lower end hotels etc. Heading there we knew that we wanted pictures of the place as how can you not. So my backpack was basically a camera pack holding my 20D, 50 1.8, 28-75 2.8, 70-300 4-5.6 and my tokina fish as I didn't want to get stuck in that "I wish I had my X lens right now" situation. Near the end of the trip I just kept the 28-75 on the camera and left the backpack on the bus or where ever else we had a general location as I was quite weak near the end of the trip and everything was a strain.

So from there I shot. I slowly got into it because I didn't want those with us to think I was some nut - we had 15 other people on the tour with us - none of which we knew heading in. After our 21 hour train experience (which was supposed to be 13 hrs max) everyone was a lot closer and people were used to me with the camera for the most part. From there I warmed up to shooting and had fun with it.

I didn't have a lot of time to set up shots or anything so most were acting quick on the feet, figuring out what I want to shoot and do it. A lot of the temples didn't allow photography and others we had an Egyptologist leading us through so I had to stay with the group. At Philae for the light show I was yelled at numerous times for being in the back (large group here - maybe 100-200 people) as I was trying to frame shots with no one in them etc.

Something I had working for me - it was freaking Egypt! Everything there was a shot basically. It was incredible and I simply can't explain the experience in words or photos. When you're there you're taking a lot of it in but also taking a lot for granted. Now that we've been back for 2 weeks I'd like to go back and take some of the areas slower as they were simply amazing.
Cujo
Cujo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nana G2006 Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:20 pm

That must have been some trip, Cujo, and the photos are awesome even with a little dirt here and there.
Nana G2006
Nana G2006

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Great shots Cujo, 2, 13 and 14 are my favorites. There's something about the lighting and composition on 13 that really pops for me.

Did you end up getting your sensor cleaned?

(by the way... the vibe was a loaner, truck was in the shop)
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by akaishuu Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for looking everyone. Here is another shot that I liked from this outing.
commercial litigation nj ny pa
Free Bankruptcy Consultation

akaishuu

Back to top Go down

Post by lunamoonfang Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

That must have been some trip, Cujo, and the photos are awesome even with a little dirt here and there.

back taxes
specifying air motors maintenance

lunamoonfang

Back to top Go down

Post by sasha1grate Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:13 am

I like photography
I am new here hope you guys will guide me
airport taxi in denver
dia airport limo denver

sasha1grate

Back to top Go down

Post by only4customer Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 am

There are a lot of Oakley Sunglasses blogs, but many customers left a message on our website that our blog is different from others
oakley sunglasses ,
oakley sunglass

only4customer

http://www.ebuysunglasses.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum