Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Leica lenses

2 posters

Go down

New Leica lenses Empty New Leica lenses

Post by Nando Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 pm

An article in Chasseur d'images announced the following Leica lenses for Photokina:

50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-ASPH (The King of the Night is back!)

21mm f/1.4 Summilux-ASPH (I fell on the floor when I saw this)

24mm f/1.4 Summilux-ASPH (Fell on the floor a second time... and harder)

24mm f/3.8 Elmar (ASPH?) (Sensible choice given 24mm gives close to 35mm on a M8 )

Also there is a new Leica M8.2. It's basically like the M8 but with a quieter shutter and some other upgrades. Same sensor and MP-count as before. Still no word on a Leica R10 SLR.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

New Leica lenses Empty Re: New Leica lenses

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Hopefully the M8.3 is a little better, a quieter shutter is a step in the right direction but full-frame is what everybody is begging for.

Having said that I hope to play with an M8 when I'm in Toronto next month. Hopefully someone has it stocked as a demo.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm already seeing in people unloading their 50mm f/1 Noctiluxes. I saw a photo of the new Noctilux-M ASPH. Not only is it faster (yes, only by 0.05) but its also much smaller than the older Noctiluxes due to the use of aspherics.

If Leica wants me to buy an M8 (or whatever they decide to call it in the future), it has to have a full-frame sensor. Its not that Leica doesn't want to provide it either. It's because they're dealing with a very close flange-to-sensor distance. This is an advantage for a rangefinder over an SLR when it comes to film but causes problem for a full-frame sensor.

I'm not phased by the lack of a full-frame sensor on the M8. I'm sure it will come eventually. The arrival of 21 and 24 Summiluxes is unbelievable news. I'd rather see Leica offer those lenses than a full-frame M8. They're just going to be astounding to use. Imagine the ability to shoot dark interior spaces in natural light, hand held at f/1.4 and as low as 1/8th. And with a useable depth of field. Recently, I had 100ISO film in my MP and was very successful hand-holding my 24mm Elmarit at 1/8th and f/2.8 shooting in interiors in the evening. I kept thinking how great it would be to have an extra stop - mainly so that I could increase the shutter speed without having to go up to 400 ISO. Well with the new Summiluxes, there are two extra stops. I can't wait to see how they perform.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm

My buddy Don shoots mostly available darkness with the 5D and Canon 24mm f/1.4 and gets great results. I'm sure he'd love to shoot 1/8th consistantly but I don't think he'd go back to film to do it or use a cropped sensor RF.

He used to use a Contax G2 before he bought into digital and had some great results with that system.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down