Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it.

4 posters

Go down

I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it. Empty I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it.

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 am

Well, after some strong debate I think I'm going to replace my 4x5 with a more practical hasselblad system. From getting film, to developing anything but BW, to purchasing a suitable film scanner, to purchasing an enlarger system that can handle 4x5 costing at least double.... This monster is turning into a monster pain in the... rump.
The problem is that from here in the soo, I'm not 100% sure of the best way to do it. I'm not really familiar/comfortable with ebay. I love to window shop there but am intimidated by the whole process. The other issue I'm running into is that the prices are SO MUCH CHEAPER when in US only auctions. I've heard that there are places across the bridge that can help me out, I'm just not sure of where, how, and what to do at the border. I'm also noticing that first time ebay sellers don't seem to get as much attention for their items. If i'm going to sell my 4x5 on ebay, I definitely want to get as much as I can for it. (who doesn't?)
I guess what I'm saying is..... HELP!
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it. Empty Re: I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it.

Post by Nando Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Have you decided on where you are getting your Hasselblad kit? Perhaps the dealer will take trade-ins or sell your 4x5 on consignment.

Do you frequent any other photography forums like APUG or the Large Format Photography Forum? They have buy/sell sections. I'd probably try those first before going to e-Bay.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it. Empty Re: I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it.

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:40 pm

No, I haven't made up my mind on where to get the blad yet. I also don't really frequent any other forums. Maybe I should. I have talked with KEH, Vistek and am waiting to hear back from henry's. Vistek doesn't take 4x5 anymore and KEH offered me so little money it's not worth selling. I was actually insulted. Especially when they want PREMIUM prices for that gear. Not that I'm unwilling to pay good money for a guaranteed quality Blad, but not when they're giving me pennies for my gear.

Thanks for the tip. I'll start looking around these forums.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Harry's Pro Shop in Toronto is good. I get all my 'new' Leica stuff from Tony Rose at Popflash Photo in Los Angeles. Tony is one classy guy. He has some Hasselblad too but I think its used gear.

How about the colleagues from your school? Do you have an alumni organization so that you can keep in touch with them and your teachers? Perhaps one of them would be interested in your 4x5 kit.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm

You're BRILLIANT nando. HA HA HA HA HA! That's exactly where I could sell that camera. Everyone is somewhat encouraged to have/buy a medium to large format camera. You're my hero.
As for Harry's and Popflash, used is what I'm looking for. As long as it's in perfect working order, there's something about using an old camera that makes me wonder what it has done. I'll ask for Tony.

Again Nando, BRILLIANT!

Thanks.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 pm

If you contact Popflash, let me know. You'll be talking to either Tony or Alex. Both are great to deal with. Tony is the owner. I maybe making another purchase there soon (I really shouldn't but I have no will power). However, I've run into a bit of a problem trying to decide between to stellar lenses.

A friend of mine just bought a used Hassy 501CM body in Toronto (so now he has two bodies) but I can't remember where he got it. I want to say Downtown Camera but I'm not sure exactly. I saw it the other day and it was MINT. It looks like it has never been used. Considering its condition, I thought that he got it for a good price.

I was in the market for a used Hassy in the fall last year. I found the kits that sold for little money (say, body, finder, a12 back, and 80 planar for $800-1200). They may look nice on the outside but were in fact very well used. Probably studio cameras that must have had thousands and thousands of rolls put through them. For a nice example in very good shape, the price was still pretty high. At least $2000 for the basic kit.

I got the Arax instead because I could get an entire kit with several really good lenses cheap. I consider myself lucky that all seems to be working but I probably wouldn't recommend this route to a professional. Main attraction to this system is the really inexpensive Zeiss and Schneider P6-mount lenses originally made for the Pentacon Six and Exakta 66 cameras. There is also a very good Soviet 30mm Fisheye that sells for around $200. In comparison, the Zeiss 30mm Fisheye for the Hassy is $9000 (at Harry's Pro Shop)! I don't particularly like Fisheyes but that Soviet 30mm is the reason why many people get into this particular system. There is also a Soviet 55mm shift/tilt lens that sells for around $300 while the Schneider 55mm Super-Angulon PCS retails for over $8000.

I also like the Mamiya RZ67. It's not a square format but it has a revolving back so you don't have to hold the big camera sideways like with a Pentax 67. I also like the Rolleiflex SL66 - its built like a tank and has a built in bellows that allows tilting. I'd imagine that feature would come in handy in product photography. It isn't as well supported as the Hassy V system though and hasn't been in production for awhile. I'm not very familiar with the newer Rolleiflex 6000 system that replaced it. I know of a few photographers that use a trio of Rolleiflex TLR's - one with a 50, a standard one with the 80 and one with a 135.

A Hassy is always nice. It's not that big and fits nicely in the hands. It seems very nicely balanced with the. I've also never seen a brighter focusing screen in any SLR (35mm or medium-format) as the one in a later model Hassy. The focusing screen is gorgeous. If I start using my Arax often, I'm going to try to see if I can get a Hasselblad-type focusing screen fitted to the camera.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I did end up calling Popflash. They were GREAT. The only stock they had was an expensive 503 kit, 2300$+++. Decent price for the kit in good shape, but more than I was looking to spend. At leas until I can secure a decent chunk of cash for my 4x5. Quickly understanding that it was more than I was currently looking to spend, Tony gave me some great advice about looking elsewhere. Who does that? I was really impressed.
I'll definitely keep them in mind in the future. Thanks for the tip Nando.

They're such an amazing camera. Solid, great glass, nice feel, BRIGHT screen and, well... I've always loved the look of them. I know it's not important, but I love those cameras.
I agree with you about the Mamiya RZ67, but it's just not what I'm looking for now. I had an RB67 until just a few months ago. I had used it for a few years but had been slowly phasing it out. Not really because I didn't like it, but because it was a bit impractical. If I was going handheld for a while, I just hated lugging that cinderblock around. If I was going to use a tripod and not worry about portability, I went for the 4x5.
I found the weight of the 67 made the giant mirror flap not as big of an issue as it is even with the smaller 645. Inertia i guess. But not as enjoyable to use as the few times I goofed around with Blads.

I don't know that Rolleiflex 66, but as I never really liked product photography at all, I'm going to try and avoid it like the plague. I will check out the camera though.

Thanks again for the advice Nando.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:31 pm

I can add your name to the list of people I have heard complaining about selling to KEH.

You're probably looking for something more modern but there's a 500C kit (same as what I shoot with) for $500 on RangeFinderForum.com

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=11928

The price is right but you're probably looking for something less "ghetto".
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 am

Oh Ken, you think too highly of me. I'm all kinds of "ghetto shooter." I don't know if I've ever owned a film camera younger than I am.
Scratches and dents in a camera just add friction to the grip.

I just sent the user a PM.

Thanks!
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:45 am

What can I say? Tony Rose is the man! There aren't very many like him in the photography business. You can give Tony or Alex your email address and they'll notify you whenever they come across something that you are looking for.

Was it a 503CW? That's the latest version I believe - probably goes for $5000+ new. The thing I see with Hassy's is that they come down considerably in price in the used market but then seem to hold that value. I think its best to buy used if possible. The lenses other than the standard 80 Planar remain quite expensive though. Accessories too. You can save a considerable amount of money by using Soviet viewfinders. The viewfinders are the only thing that are 100% compatible between Hasselblad and Hasselbladski. I bought a Soviet 4x tunnel viewfinder for macro-work for $60. Of course, due to the non-existent quality control, I had to shave about 1mm of metal from the base with a file to make it fit my Arax but it works beautifully now.

The Rolleiflex SL66 is primarily respected for its ruggedness and reliability. It's a tank camera - and probably weighs and feels like a tank too. The Hasselblads are extremely well made and very reliable for the most part but they can be delicate and sometimes finicky machines.

The Hasselblad on RFF looks pretty sweet. I love those older chrome lenses. Zeiss came out with a new series of lenses for the Hasselblads in chrome recently. I'd follow Ken's advice in trying to look for an older Blad but perhaps a 501. 500's were made for a very long time. I'm not sure when the new bright focusing screen appeared but I know many 500 users had the newer screens fitted into their cameras.

I've made up my mind, but I don't know how to do it. Hasselblad_timeline

Here's is a Hasselblad price guide. It was compiled a year ago when prices were lower than they are now. Still it breaks down the different types of cameras and you know what they are worth relative to each other.

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/hassy.htm

Here's the price-guide for lenses:
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/hassylens.htm

Last edited by Nando on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:56 am

I think I'm going to buy that one from RFF. It's a 500c I'm familiar with. I don't really think I need any more than that. I'm also a big fan of the chrome lenses.

Now I'm left with the final question.... Does anyone know about shipping to Sault Mich. I heard that there's a business there that will take shipped items. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nana G2006 Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:00 am

Hey - a question I can answer! You are probably looking for Wier's Package & Freight, located in Weir's Furniture. Phone 906-632-6891. Just use their address: - 605 Ridge Street, Sault Ste Marie, MI 49783, as your "ship to" address. They charge a small fee, which I think is based on the size of the package - I've never paid more than $3.00 US. If you are able to give your email address to the shipper then you will receive an email notification from Wier's when your parcel comes in. They are open Mon - Fri 8-6pm and Sat 9-5pm. Hope this helps.
Nana G2006
Nana G2006

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks Nana. That is much appreciated.

I just got permission from the boss.(my lovely wife) to go ahead!!!
This stupid grin on my face seems like it's going to be hanging around for a while.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:21 am

Early chrome Zeiss 80mm Planars were 5-element lenses, I believe, with a similar optical formula to my Zeiss 80mm Biometar and the 80mm Planars used on the Rolleiflex TLR's. The Planars for the Hassy evolved over time and are now 7-element lenses. The old chrome lenses are also single-coated, which can be good or bad depending on what you like. Its something worth considering.

If you really want that Hassy on RFF, join quickly and send the seller a PM before someone else gets it. Some very good deals appear there but you got to be really quick on the draw to snatch them.
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:30 am

If you do get it I have a nice 60mm f/5.6 Distagon and a 250mm f/5.6 Sonnar to play with as well. This city needs more square shooters! Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am

Oh.... that did it. My face is now broken. I don't know how I'm going to eat and drink with this perma-grin.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 am

I didn't mean to break your face, but since it's already broken I might bring mine the next time we meet up so you can fondle it while waiting for yours Very Happy
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Mu Ha Ha! <---- my evil laugh. I'm excited to see that system Ken.

Well, I just bought the camera. Despite having permission, it was a close race with someone else. I won. Mu Ha Ha! (haven't payed yet, but will be getting everything done tomorrow)

Thanks for all the help everyone.
crowellphotographs
crowellphotographs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down