Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD?

2 posters

Go down

New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD? Empty New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD?

Post by Nando Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 pm

I saw this on Rangefinderforum.com. Looks like Panaleica is coming out with a new camera that looks to be a direct response to the Ricoh GRD, which is very popular among RF shooters. I did read a recent interview with Leica's owner/CEO, Andreas Kaufman, describing what he would like to see in a digital p&s - good and fast wide-angle, a hot-shoe for an external viewfinder. It seemed that he was describing the Ricoh GRD.

Well, I must say that the Panaleica DMC-LX3 looks pretty impressive to me when it comes to digital cameras. A 35mm equivalent Leica 24mm-60mm f/2.0-2.8 Vario-Summicron lens - fast enough for low-light shots without flash and the focal-lengths are the ideal for the typical rangefinder shooter (I like 24-35-50mm, for example). Leica doesn't cut corners with the glass so the lens should be as good as it gets for a small digitals. The external vf ensures a bright view and lets you turn off the LCD to save batteries and to be discrete. Should be extremely quiet. It has complete manual control with the use of "joysticks" according to the DP article - obviously not the ideal shutter speed dial on the top-plate, aperture and focus on the lens but what can you do? It can shoot raw so at least you can have some better control over noise suppression and such. I probably won't buy it though but it might be worth pursuing as a used item perhaps two years after it release (when its worth next to nothing). I'd take this camera over a new Ricoh GRD II (my former favourite digital camera) and I'd certainly take it over that slow Sigma DP1.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072102panasoniclx3.asp
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD? Empty Re: New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD?

Post by Kenneth Armstrong Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 pm

If I didn't just buy a new Bessa (and decided to go to film for my carry-around) I would probably have been looking at this seriously.
Kenneth Armstrong
Kenneth Armstrong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD? Empty Re: New Panaleica DMC-LX3- a worthy competitor to the Richo GRD?

Post by Nando Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:10 pm

What? The Bessa is waaaayyyyy waaaayyyy better...
Nando
Nando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum