P is for Porsche

View previous topic View next topic Go down

P is for Porsche

Post by Nando on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 am

The car is a 1977 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet that belongs to the brother of a very close friend. What's more fitting than a classic German car for testing a classic German lens.

Took this shot to test out my new (to me) Leica 35mm f/2.8 Summaron lens. This is one of my "dream" lenses and I finally found an example with beautiful glass and luckily, for lot less than what it is actually worth. In my opinion, the lens is a masterpiece. I'm ecstatic!!!! The tonality that this lens gives is gorgeous and it draws beautifully at all apertures. I feel that it is possibly the best that Leica ever made at the 35mm focal-length except for the latest 35mm f/2 Summicron-ASPH.... and this Summaron happens to be over 50 years old. Smile

The above shot of the dash was also taken with the Summaron but it is heavily cropped. Unfortunately, like most lenses from this era, it is prone to flare and there was a fair amount on the right-side of original shot due to a light-bulb directly above the car. So I cropped it out while attempting to keep the original 3x2 ratio. Luckily, I have the correct Leica 12585H hood for this lens already as it is also used for my 50mm Summitar. With the hood, I shouldn't have to worry too much about flare except in extreme situation. The camera used was my Leica M3 and the film was Kodak BW400CN.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top