Greenfield Village

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greenfield Village

Post by Nando on Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 am

Some shots from my trip to Dearborn Michigan to visit the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. (In my other life I'm a Ford enthusiast.) I had these negatives lying around for a while and finally decided to scan them. All photos were taken with my Voigtlander Bessa-T with the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Nokton mounted. The film was Kodak Pro 400UC.

An artisan at the Pottery Shop:

In the Armington & Sims Machine Shop:

I'll probably add a few more later. Scanning and processing does take some time.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greenfield Village

Post by bjotoole on Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Great stuff Nando, these look fantastic. They have a real nice overall look to them, which I'm assuming is characteristics of the camera, lens and film used.
bjotoole

View user profile http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Wed May 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks. The 35mm f/1.2 Nokton is a unique lens and it deserves most of the credit.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed May 07, 2008 1:52 pm

The first image really does it for me, great use of available light. Great subject. I would love to see more like this.

I think you could make a really good documentary photographer if you put your mind to it.
Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Wed May 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks. I limit myself to only shooting available light. It may sound limiting but to me it liberating.

Documentary photographer? I need to figure out what things to document first.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed May 07, 2008 3:05 pm

I don't think you'd have to look very far. I'd love to see more from this series... get scanning!
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Wed May 07, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm really digging the 2nd one. I want to know what's behind gauge on the left and right hand sides, looks like some cool machinery back there. Saw some of the others on your Flickr stream as well. Definitely cool stuff.

I've mainly shot all available light as well and is the main reason why I think I like my fast primes so much -- and I am used to manual focus instead of auto.

Definitely a cool series.

As far as documentary photographer, you can document anything. If you have the skills to take the shots and make the subject interesting the possibilities are endless.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks Ken and Curt.

I think that there's more to documentary photography than just being there and having the technical skills to take well-composed and properly-exposed photographs. It takes lots of time, dedication, and resources to do meaningful job at it. If I'm going to dedicate 5 or more years to a project, I need to choose it carefully. It's like picking a major.

More scanning will probably have to wait until the weekend. My work is eating up a lot of my photography time at the moment.

Curt, if you really like available light, you ought to try an RF. I can hand-hold this 35mm f/1.2 lens at 1/8th, for example, and get acceptable results.With a 50mm, I can go down to 1/15th.

Ken, if I had brought this particular lens to our second meeting instead of the Summicron, you could have shot at 1/125th or 1/60th at f/1.2. Smile
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed May 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Nando wrote:I think that there's more to documentary photography than just being there and having the technical skills to take well-composed and properly-exposed photographs. It takes lots of time, dedication, and resources to do meaningful job at it. If I'm going to dedicate 5 or more years to a project, I need to choose it carefully. It's like picking a major.

That's why I said "if you put your mind to it.
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:52 pm

Here are two more photos. These aren't particular good photos but I think good examples of what can be done with Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 (aka The Beast). When my friend and I got to Firestone Farm (family home of Harvey Firestone of Firestone Tires fame), they had just slaughtered a pig. There were a group of men and women butchering the animal and packing up the meat down in the basement so I went down to take a look. It was extremely dark down there. There were two windows (I think) and perhaps three or four oil burning lamps. These shots are taken wide-open at f1.2, hand-held at 1/8th. The lens was attached to my Bessa-T body. I was also dealing with back-lighting from the windows in these shots. I'm glad that I was able to get something.

The first one is a bit dark. It is best to click on it to see the image at a larger size. I'll probably do some dodging to it later when I have more time.

Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 pm

I think they're great, especially considering the conditions.
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdfloorgirl on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 pm

All 4 are beautiful shots Nando. I especially like the second one. The tone of it, and DoF...
thirdfloorgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top