Fisheye Falls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fisheye Falls

Post by Cujo on Sun May 04, 2008 3:18 pm

As a follow up to Photobugjan's post: http://saultphotography.forumotion.com/the-gallery-f9/kinsmen-park-falls-t158.htm
I was up at the falls last weekend playing around with the fisheye. It was just too wet to really want to change lenses in that atmosphere (for me anyway). (I didn't want to thread hijack but if someone wants to merge them as they see that's more than appropriate feel free)

Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fisheye Falls

Post by Nando on Sun May 04, 2008 3:53 pm

To me, fisheye lenses always seem to work better with type of scenery.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens on Mon May 05, 2008 12:20 am

I like these! Where did you take them from though? I don't know that I've seen the falls from this perspective before?! Hmmm.
viewsthroughmylens

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Mon May 05, 2008 7:31 am

Nando wrote:To me, fisheye lenses always seem to work better with type of scenery.

I'm not sure if you're saying it works here or doesn't work here. I've been experimenting with the fish lately just to see where I can take a shot or add something different to the shot etc. And as I stated above it was just too misty to open up the camera and throw a different lens on at the time. I know it's hit or miss and works in certain situations -- I have plenty of shots where it's not working but thought I'd throw these up to keep the boards active.

viewsthroughmylens wrote:I like these! Where did you take them from though? I don't know that I've seen the falls from this perspective before?! Hmmm.

Thanks VTML. I was on the rocks. Basically walk down the path, go out on the little deck they have, go under the rail, jump across the rocks until you're at the edge and bammo there you go. The fisheye was giving me 180 degrees of view so I was getting all the water right in front of me and across, it also distorts the edges a bit so the shot may not look the same as someone shooting with a wide angle from the same spot. You need to be careful shooting with it however as you are used to seeing stuff in the distance with your eye through the viewfinder so tend to lean in, leaning in with this means you're falling into the water -- I was yelled at a couple of times for being "too close".
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Mon May 05, 2008 8:11 am

Cujo wrote:
Nando wrote:To me, fisheye lenses always seem to work better with type of scenery.

I'm not sure if you're saying it works here or doesn't work here.

This was just a general observation I've made about fisheye lenses. Personally, I find that fisheye photographs that do not contain man-made things to look more pleasing. This is probably because there are less straight lines to be distorted. I still think that fisheyes are a good tool for architecture but for me, there must be strong symmetry for those type of shots to work.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Mon May 05, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm slowly going crazy, #1 is not a fisheye shot but my 50. I have no recollection of switching lenses because of the conditions but the EXIF is saying otherwise.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Wed May 07, 2008 12:49 pm

LOL, that's a good one Curt!

I don't think I would have guessed that #2 was taken with the fisheye... It doesn't have that obvious distortion. With that said, I do like that photo, as the wider angle is nice.

I'll have to take a ride up there soon, and see the falls in full action
bjotoole

View user profile http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks Bryan. It's on the longer end of the fisheye so most of the distortion is gone, down near the lower side (10-12mm or so) is where you'll see the full distortion. Currently it's my only wide angle that low. After that it's my 20mm.

Also, let me know when you're going, I may tag along.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top