Battle of the Bands

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battle of the Bands

Post by Cujo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:02 am

These have been on my Flickr for about 24 hrs now so you may have already seen them but I'm throwing them here anyway, it's also my first Flickr post since Aug I think.

I finally got out to shoot again last Saturday. It was the Battle of the Bands at Algoma U as a fund raiser for the skate park. Good news is Phase 1 is coming this year and they raised $1500+ at this show which is cool.

I fudged up the saves on the shots so there's no EXIF info in them but I added it in at Flickr, I can post here if you're really interested. Shots are with either the 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 or the Tokina 10-17 fishy.

#2 - fish shot, shooting blind holding camera at his feet

#7 - another fish shot, I think the bassist probably thought I was nuts, I had my lens pretty much on the head of his bass for about a minute

And there they are. Yes some aren't all that interesting but it's what I have up right now. Have at em.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battle of the Bands

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:17 am

I wanted to attend so badly, but of course the wedding...

Not sure if the texture in some of the shots (2, 3, 9) is something to do with using a noise-reducing technique or if you just added it PP, but it looks sweet. Adds a sort of grungy feel.

My friend/co-worker Wayne (#2) will be happy someone got nice photos...he was pretty bummed when I said I couldn't make it.

Nice job on these!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nana G2006 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 am

I think your photos show the action and there's a nice variety of shots. Did you post them to the soonews group on Flickr? Ken might pick one for his "photos of the week"! The skatepark fundraising committee can use lots of advertising. Nice to hear that we are $1500. closer - only $198,500, more or less, to go!! (I am a member of the Skatepark Fundraising Committee - it's a long story)
Nana G2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:25 pm

AA - no noise reduction, can't stand those programs as they usually come out too plastic-y. Could be the effects of some post with bringing up some levels. The level of noise/grain could probably be attributed to the combination of the nifty 50/20D/ISO 1600.

Nana G2006 - probably not going to post them to the soonews group, nothing against the group but just a personal thing of trying to hold my own photos in my own control. I do believe the park needs to get some more people behind it though.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:44 pm

You got some wide shots for me this time! Very Happy

Again, great coverage. You always seem to get good drummer shots. The inconsistent post-processing bugs me again but that's my problem, not yours.
Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Kenneth Armstrong wrote:You got some wide shots for me this time! Very Happy

Again, great coverage. You always seem to get good drummer shots. The inconsistent post-processing bugs me again but that's my problem, not yours.

HAHA yeah. I wore cargo pants (not original plan) but they worked out perfect. Had the 50 1.8 on the body, the Tokina fish in the left leg pocket and the 85 f/1.8 in the right leg pocket, I'd shoot a bit with one lens then quick change to another. Probably not ideal situation for most people but I can change the lenses through in about 30 seconds so it wasn't a big problem.

For the PP I'm still trying to find "my zone" right now, I think there's 3 diff processes in here with minor tweaks to those afterwards. I was going to go all B&W as I was liking everything like that but realized some colour was probably needed so that probably explains the muted colours a bit more. Then I wanted a more grungy feel as well as it was "hard rock yargghh". 1-2,4 same processing, 3,5,6,8 same, 7,9 same (for those wanting to know Wink)

As far as the drummer shots depending the band I was either able to reach with the 50 or I'd make the switch to the 85 and get a nicer crop on them -- this was the first time I've had 3 lenses on the go for a band shoot and I liked the results.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Scratch that, #3 is my buddy Wayne.

Again, good stuff. I like this set a lot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks AA.

I have more to go through - will post more up if I get them done sometime soon.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nana G2006 on Thu May 01, 2008 1:24 am

Sorry, Cujo, I forgot the discussion about posting to Flickr groups, etc. The skatepark fundraising committee can always use more people and everyone is welcome at the meetings. Travis usually posts the next meeting dates on the forum site. He's also posted a donation form in PDF on both sites.
Nana G2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 pm

I just uploaded the rest of the shots last night to my Facebook and this gallery here: http://www.murderflymultimedia.com/battle_gallery/

I'll probably put a select few up on Flickr to then post here but I'm lazy right now.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Sat May 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I uploaded a couple of the full set to Flickr last night (you may have seen if you view my flickr stream but considering I never update it I think most people have stoppped Wink).

Here's a couple of my favs from that new small Flickr group:

Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top