AP, MySpace and Fair Use Rights

Go down

AP, MySpace and Fair Use Rights

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:35 pm

At first this may seem off-topic but I think it's very important information in this day and age. When this whole Eliott Spitzer story hit the front page and his prostitute was named the Associated Press and other media outlets jumped on to MySpace for her image. I assumed at the time that MySpace was making money off of this as part of the terms and conditions states that MySpace owns all images posted. Instead most of the media used "Fair Use" to justify taking the images and paying no one for them to splash across their front pages. Many feel that using this as an excuse for Fair Use is sketchy at best, and with recent discussion about free photos and the media I thought it would be important.

Really this kind of thing makes me feel like taking everything I have online on sites like Flickr or MySpace down. The fact that images can be taken WITHOUT OUR CONSENT if they are deemed even mildly newsworthy and not paid for scares the hell out of me.

Stick around in a lot of forums enough and you will see this kind of thing all the time, but this is probably the biggest example I have seen.

Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Re: AP, MySpace and Fair Use Rights

Post by crowellphotographs on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:30 am

We had done a show at a gallery in Ottawa. One of the local online papers sent a photographer to cover the vernissage. This photographer (and others who I don't know were they were from) walked up and took a straight on picture of every piece of work on display. They ran four of the images without permission. I enjoyed the publicity, but still felt used. One of the other artists called to complain and was given a similar justification.(or maybe the same justification)

On one hand there is such honor to journalism. The writer from Hamilton who would have rather gone to jail than to reveal his source. Then there's the "Anything to sell a paper and save a buck doing it" mentality. Where no one seems to be above being screwed. Maybe the media outlets consider us "Sources" and are not giving us credit (or money) to protect our identities.
HA HA HA HA Ha.........

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down