Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:34 am

C&C not only welcome but encouraged!

Full slideshow with captions here.

Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Re: Saginaw Spirit at Soo Greyhounds

Post by crowellphotographs on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Great shots again Ken. I absolutely love the puck floating behind the goalie. What a great moment well captured.
I'm not sure how close you are to blowing out the highlights but maybe the images could do with a little bit of brightening. I like your choice of white balance. A little cool, but I feel that this is what gives them your signature style. Especially with that rich red color.
Also, (understand that I love your shots) but I would maybe consider shooting the action at the net as landscape for some of them. I think you made the perfect choice for #5. I'm thinking #1 and #3 would have looked great in landscape, a little tighter.(when nothing going on behind the net, just include the posts.)
#5 is Hardcore!
crowellphotographs

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Yah, #5 probably could be cropped landscape as well getting rid of the player on the left.

To be honest I shoot vertical mostly because my columns are only 400 pixels wide but I have no limit on height. That's why my slideshows are 400wx600h. When I shoot horizontals I only get 400wx267h. This has been a constant discussion but god forbid I take up valuable ad space Very Happy

If I cropped #1 like you said it might be more clear that he's fully airborne. I agree that #3 should be tighter, wether horizontal or vertical.

I appreciate the feedback, as always.
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:54 pm

If you touch #5 I may have to hunt you down. That's a BEAUTIFUL shot.

I like the decisions you made with 1 & 3 and would never suggest cropping. The reason the airborne player isn't so obvious is only due to the player behind. That's just having to deal with what's there.
I wouldn't change any framing or cropping for these, I would however consider shooting a little more horizontal in the future, especially in situations like #1. It's unfortunate about your constraints. With clients, I've always taken the mentality of "Give them what they want first. Once you've got it, now start shooting what you know will look better."
I just think the tighter horizontals from beside the net may almost give a sense of what the goalie is experiencing. (If that makes any sense.)

Keep it up!
crowellphotographs

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzardskills on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:46 pm

It looks like your right on the ice with them! Great shots!
lizzardskills

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:37 am

I missed these somehow the first time through.

First off it sucks that you're shooting limited based on requirements from "the man" so they can sell ad space in a poorly formatted site for pictures etc. One thing I hate about the online "news" sites is the fact that they are selling ads first and delivering news second. If I click on one more story that then says "click here to go to the story" I'll snap.

Moving on.

As has been previously said some of these shots would be sweeter if shot landscape and tighter (sort of the opposite critique you gave me Wink) You're doing a pretty good job of framing the action but now I think you need to make us feel apart of the action and that's getting us in there tighter. Let's see the sweat on their face, the mist on the visor etc. We all know they are on ice in a rink so having that bit in there makes it all feel distant, having the players fill the frame make us feel on the ice with them. Just something to try out next time.

I'm sure this may just be my work monitor but some of the shots seem somewhat dark as well. If it's not the monitor maybe just a bit of pop to the shots to give them more umph as well.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:12 am

Yah they are darker than usual, I had less time to do post work on these before putting them up. One of these days I'll get back to my selects and fix that.

I don't want to seem too down on the site formatting, to be fair it was created long before I started. Shooting verticals has been my personal work around to ensure my pics get seen larger. I could use their existing photo gallery but it requires you to open and close each picture in a new window, which I don't personally like.

I have been given the option of having my slideshow open in a new window but I haven't done that for exactly the reason cujo points out. We try to have the story in one window and not require another click. Our competition, on the other hand, requires you to go to the main page, click the sports story you want, in that page they tell you to go to their sports page, you click that and find the story you want again. The only reason I can think of doing this is to get 4x the hits for the same story. For me it just pisses me off.

As for tighter shots... I want to buy a 300mm f/2.8 IS but it's about $4500 I don't have right now Very Happy Until then I guess I'll just have to crop more Very Happy

Thanks for the crit.
Kenneth Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 am

The 300 is on my list as well Wink

And your slideshows work a lot better than soonews picture gallery as most the time it does open a new window but then you have to maximize/resize that window to see the picture. Just total blah.

So keep with what you're doing and keep thinking of alternatives, a slideshow that pops up in it's own window and that's it might be okay as long as you're not blasting ads all over etc -- it's when they don't send you to the direct location and make you hunt down the info you want that sucks.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top