Sault Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the early months

Go down

In the early months Empty In the early months

Post by tranthuongbn Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:49 pm

In the early months of 1815, Charlotte fixed on Leopold (or as she termed him, "the Leo") as a spouse.[64] Her father refused to give up hope that Charlotte would agree to marry the Prince of Orange. However, Charlotte wrote, "No arguments, no threats, shall ever bend me to marry this detested Dutchman."[65] Faced with the united opposition of the Royal Family, George finally gave in and dropped the idea of marriage to the Prince of Orange, who became engaged to Anna Pavlovna of Russia that summer.[66] Charlotte contacted Leopold through intermediaries, and found him receptive, but with Napoleon renewing the conflict on the Continent, Leopold was with his regiment fighting.[67] In July, shortly before returning to Weymouth, Charlotte formally requested her father's permission to marry Leopold. The Prince Regent replied that with the unsettled political situation on the Continent, he could not consider such a request.[68] To Charlotte's frustration, Leopold did not come to Britain after the restoration of peace, even though he was stationed in Paris, which she deemed to be only a short journey from Weymouth or London.[69]
In January 1816, the Prince Regent invited his daughter to the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, and she pleaded with him to allow the marriage. On her return to Windsor, she wrote her father, "I no longer hesitate in declaring my partiality in favour of the Prince of Coburg—assuring you that no one will be more steady or consistent in this their present & last engagement than myself."[70] George gave in and summoned Leopold, who was in Berlin en route to Russia, to Britain.[71] Leopold arrived in Britain in late February 1816, and went to Brighton to be interviewed by the Prince Regent. After Charlotte was invited as well, and had dinner with Leopold and her father, she wrote:

picture from amazing Italy
Polnisch Übersetzungen

tranthuongbn

Back to top Go down