Pine Island Sunset

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pine Island Sunset

Post by bjotoole on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I spent a cold Saturday night out at a friends camp on Pine Island this weekend, and was able take home a few photos that I think turned out pretty good. I think the rum numbed my senses a little, and allowed me to spend more time than normal out in the cold Smile Thanks for looking.

Sunset I - From the shoreline

Sunset II - From around the point
bjotoole

View user profile http://flickr.com/bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Re: Pine Island Sunset

Post by crowellphotographs on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Nice work. I really like the first one, the blue of the snow balances well with the sky. The composition, color balance and composition are perfect. My eye wanders well across the image, yet never out of frame. The band of warm light from the sun is just tall enough to make the trees pop. That first shot feels like a dream.

I find the second shot is also great. I have to say that on the same page as to the first, it does lose some of it's wow factor.

I would watch out for the banding. I can see only a slight touch of it in the first, but the second is more noticeable. I'm not sure if this is due to either A-jpeg size reduction.(i realize the original is much bigger) B- Post production. (contrast enhancement) or the less likely C- the camera itself.

The banding is SO slight in the first you may not even notice when printed, but i do feel that the second will be extremely noticeable in print.

Awesome work. I'm not saying you don't shoot well all the time, but maybe you should consider drinking before every shoot if the results are this impressive.
crowellphotographs

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by viewsthroughmylens on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 am

Awesome the way the docks lead you into the picture. Great job.
viewsthroughmylens

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewsthroughmylens/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cujo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:31 am

Great shots Bryguy,

You're always out there chasing the sun. As has been previous said the banding is tough on #2 but I'm thinking that is more than likely jpg compression than anything else.

And now the rest of what I say can possibly be attributed to my wonky eyes so it could just be me.

On #1 it looks like you have the horizon an an angle moving down from left to right, I'm a stickler on straight but I think it could be straight or pretty close and the tree line getting shorter on that side might be throwing me off. Also you have the horizon dead centre of the pic, the docks flow nicely in the bottom half but then it seems like there's the direct separation. That's not said right. Just try to break it up a bit with moving your horizon line out of the middle, add more foreground or more sky and see what other type of dynamic shots can come. I know you know what I'm trying to say so we'll keep it at that Wink

On #2 it looks like there are halos around the tops of the trees. Once again this could be my eyes or the jpg compression playing tricks on the image.

But overall they're two pretty sweet images -- I need to really get out again sometime soon, any time soon.
Cujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth Armstrong on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:52 am

I think I have said before that I'm a sucker for silhouettes, so these are both great.
Kenneth Armstrong

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbergorilla/

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks for all your responses so far. I think the comments and suggestions are great.

I think the banding issue (which I never really noticed until it was mentioned.) may have started in Lightrooms standard adjustments made during importing of the files, and then enhanced during the jpg conversion. However, I'll revisit the images to make sure I didn't push any adjustments out of control without thinking or realizing it. Good eyes guys!

As for the horizon, leveling it off is always the first thing I do in lightroom. I think the photo is playing mind games. The position of the horizon was more tricky, and just went with what I could. I didn't want to get more of the foreground in the picture because the snow infront of me was distrubed with foot prints. And I didn't want to get more of the sky, because then there wasn't enough of the docks in place to make it work right. Centering the horizon is not my ideal thing to do, but I felt it worked out best in this situation. I guess i could have tried changing the height of my tripod, but it was too damn cold and really didn't want to be taking my gloves off Smile Thanks for bringing it up though.
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nando on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 pm

I find a good way to eliminate banding an other unwanted things that results from making adjustments in photo-editing software is to use 16-bit images for input. A lot of things like banding are basically the results of round-off errors in the programming algorithms. Increasing the colour-depth to 16-bit allows for more precision (instead of 256 shades per RGB channel, there are now 65535 shades per RGB channel) and these type of errors are usually eliminated. After you're done with the adjustments, you can convert to 8-bit and save as a JPEG.

Nice photos.
Nando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crowellphotographs on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about the horizon, I think if anything you're off by less than 1 degree. But I did have to check, I think it is one of those optical illusion things like you and cujo mentioned.
I also think the placement of the horizon is perfect, at least for my taste. I enjoyed the balance between the foreground and sky. The fact that the colors were so well matched up between the two made it even more appealing. I also think that any less sky and you wouldn't have had that beautiful transition from light to dark on the very top and corners.
I would agree that it may have been worth trying to drop the tripod, but I think everyone understands the influence of cold weather on the thought process.
As for the banding, Nando makes a great point about the 16 bit. On images with such subtle transitions I regularly make the conversion. This may have also been due to the process of multiple savings of a Jpeg file. (Maybe not) It's probably a good time to warn that every time you save a jpeg, it looks to discard data. If shot in Jpeg, I usually save to PSD or Tiff right away to manipulate the file. I only convert back to Jpeg if distributing the file.

Again, Great shots.
crowellphotographs

View user profile http://crowellphotographs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bjotoole on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for the input guys... you really got me thinking now.

Just so you know, all my photographs are taken and stored as Raw, and if editted, are infact done so as 16-bit TIFF images. My final step for viewing on the web is to export from Lightroom to JPG at highest quality. Perhaps theres something I'm missing in Lightroom's export features, lightrooms conversion stinks, or I just simply pushed adjustments too far (which is probably most likely).

I will try exporting as a TIFF, and comparing it to the JPG shots. That should tell me where the issue lies. Thanks again for the info.
bjotoole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top